Newbie Looking For Advice - Welcome! - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Newbie Looking For Advice

IBS-C Advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 audreyhepburn1960

audreyhepburn1960

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

Advertisement
Hi all!

New member here looking for advice on chronic IBS C. I was diagnosed 6 years ago now, but have had IBS my whole life. I am already on the quite skinny side naturally, about 108-110 pounds as an adult. Also, I had to go to the ER this spring for my IBS and the x ray showed conspiation backed up very far. It improved for a while with lots of hydration and magnesium, which is a great natural laxative.

Currently, I have been bed bound for the most part for about a month now. I experience intense stabbing pain in my entire digestive system. With extreme bloating and weight loss. It has been improving, previously it was all over my digestive system constantly.
Now, I am extremely, nauseous in the mornings or all day sometimes. I try to eat simply and even then it feels like different points of my digestive system are in stabbing pain after eating. Sometimes minutes sometimes an hour or more and are the intense stabbing and burning feeling. I have adjusted my diet, which has helped a bit. But eating is still very unpleasant. My bowel movements aren't regular even when I'm hydrated, and they are often painful and I have to cry out.
Yesterday , I started to get very cold for no reason even when I'm bundled up with a heating pad and drinking tea. My feet feel like ice and it's hard to get warm.
To treat the IBS I use natural methods due to being extremly sensitive. I use acidophilus and am seeing the improvement with it, as well as magnisum. The pain is so bad I have been unable to exercise, but try to anyway and it helps after a while. I have found help also with The Ginger Peoples tablets for nausea, and a gummy multi vitamin when I can.
I have appointments scheduled with gastroenterologists, but it takes a long time to get in. I was wondering if anyone has had an experience like this and if they have been able to heal it, or had advice? Thank you everyone for listening.

Best wishes!!
Best wishes!

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9507 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

Hi and welcome to the board.

so sorry that you are  having these problems. that's good that you will be seeing a gastroenterologist but yes, it's unfortunate that you have to wait so long for an appointment.  possibly you could call the office and ask to be put on a cancellation list or call periodically to see if there have been any cancellations and get in to see him/her earlier.

that's good that you have had some success from taking magnesium supplements although you mentioned that your bms still aren't regular.  have you tried the powdered magnesium supplements like natural calm or MagOx, Mag07 etc? some people find that the powdered forms are more effective than the tablets or capsules.

you might want to take a look at this thread over on the constipation board. it includes natural ways of controlling constipation.

http://www.ibsgroup....st-of-remedies/

you mentioned extreme bloating and nausea.  have you been tested for SIBO--small intestine bacterial overgrowth.  symptoms of sibo can include constipation, bloating and nausea.

http://www.siboinfo.com/

if your bms are painful--have you been checked for hemorrhoids or anal fissures?  a primary care doc can do this for you.

hopefully someone else on here will have some more suggestions for you. 

good luck with everything.  i do hope that you can find some relief. 

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 sffade

sffade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

Hi Audrey,

i have some of the symptoms you have but not all.  I have SIBO and when i wake up, i have a strange tingling feeling in my hands (like they are asleep) that is when i know im in trouble.  Then i get severely nauseous and have zerp appetite.  I am also on the skinny side.  When these episodes occur, i will lose 10 pounds in a week easily. i also get sores on my tongue and i have severe fatigue.  strangely enough my symptoms tend to go away as the day goes on.  By the time evening comes around i am somewhat normal.  It is very strange.  I dont have massive diarrhea or constipation....although, my stools are on the soft side.  I became very depressed and anxious and started having panic attacks over this.  i finally went to a naturopath who did every test on me you can imagine.  She found out i have SIBO.  so she put me on all kinds of things....basically here was my schedule.  wake up and immediately take glutamine forte, probiotics, D Hist tablets,  then at breakfast i take lyseine, vit D, vit A, B12, adrenal px, cortisol manager. at lunch i took boron, more lyseine, dinner i took more vit D, vit A, boron, and b12.  right before bed i would take more glutamine forte, D Hist pills and zinc.  i did this for 3 months and it fixed me!  i gained weight, i had a great appetite, my head was clear.  I never felt better in my life.  I went back to my naturopath and hugged her and was so happy.  Then i started weening off of everything (because it was expensive and very time consuming and hard to do everyday)  well after i weened off of them i had a few good months....then BAM.  I woke up and it started all over again.  i really dont know how to cure what i have....but.....taking the stuff i did did fix me while i took it.  Unfortunately i cant take it all the time for the rest of my life....so...i dont really know what to do.  I am on this forum right now because i am in a full blown episode where i am completely miserable again.  I wish you luck on your recovery and i hope you can find relief.

#4 shadytree

shadytree

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

Sounds like those natural remedies are falling down on the job.

Not everything is going to work for everyone. I also am glad that you will be seeing a gastroenterologist and I hope

they can help you get this under control.

Safe journey.

#5 acrylic0528

acrylic0528

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:39 PM

Dear Audrey, you didn't mention what foods you are eating....just wondering. I went through a period where I couldn't eat even one inch of a raw carrot--I would have stabbing stabbing pains in my stomach..So, of course I eat very little of them. I also can't eat apples with the skin on--again stabbing pain..I have to peel them and cook them on stove..I noticed if I have an empty stomach and if I eat an orange I get stabbing pain again...Once, I ate an orange and a banana and OMG incredible stabbing pain and I have NEVER done that ever again...I hope you find some solutions here on this forum..take care.

#6 audreyhepburn1960

audreyhepburn1960

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:45 AM

Thank you all so much for your help. I hope you all heal soon too.

The symptoms have gotten better in some ways. I tested negative for bacteria, Sibo, and Crohns.

I went to my gastro doc, and she prescribed some great medicines. They are helping, but I still have daily pain, and nausea. I take senna which helps with BMs, but causes cramping. My doc says to stay on it for now, it helps so much with regular BMs. But I could do with out the cramping.

I also have noticed increased amounts of mucus in my stool. As well as a intense need to urinate very quickly and without warning. My doc said it isn’t a problem, but I was wondering what you all think as fellow IBS people.

I am so greatful for the improvement in symptoms, but still am housebound mostly which I really want to fix. What do you all think?

Best wishes!
Best wishes!

#7 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9507 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:47 AM

if senna is giving you cramps, you might want to try another stimulant laxative.  there are a number of them available such as cascara sagrada and dulcolax.  if you take dulcolax, be sure and follow the instructions on the box and don't take it within an hour of taking milk products or antacids or you'll get cramping.  i've used both cascara sagrada and dulcolax and never had any pain or cramping with them. 

a lot of people here like Dr. Schultz's Intestinal Formula #1.

i replied to your  urinary question on your other post about it.   

i had lots of pain from colon spasms  so my doc prescribed librax--an antispasmodic.  it really worked well.  i only took it when the pain was severe, since constipation can be one of the side effects. 

good luck.  hope you feel better soon.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#8 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2120 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

Hi audreyhepburn1960 -

Sorry about all your intestinal woes. Please read this whenever you have the time (click on below link to read):

http://www.ibsgroup....tion-aka-ibs-c/

Good luck and keep us posted!

#9 antlerflax

antlerflax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:40 AM

In terms of a laxative, I find that Fybogel is almost a miracle worker. It is entirely natural and is literally just fibre, and simply bulks up stools making your intestines work less hard to push them through, reducing cramps. It can be scary seeing such huge BMs with lots of undigested fibre in them but you get used to it after a while and this is harmless anyway.
Make sure to buy Ispaghula Husk rather than the branded Fybogel, it's cheaper and is exactly the same thing, and one warning is just to drink plenty of water while taking Fybogel as it can make constipation worse if not, but that's the only side effect. Hope this helps and that you find relief soon, I am also IBS-C and it was awful for a time until my doctor recommended Fybogel.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-C, Advice

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here