Mystery problem that 8 gastroenterologists couldn't figure out - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Mystery problem that 8 gastroenterologists couldn't figure out

ibs constipation dyspepsia gastroparesis hiatal hernia belching burping vomiting food

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Constipated53

Constipated53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

Advertisement

I am a 64 years old male and I have had COPD for several years, I recently quit smoking after serious pneumonia in 2016. Right after that, I have had persistent constipation and have been taking daily laxatives for the past 1.5 years and have been able to get motions with but for the past few days I have developed a new problem where I am usually belching like crazy while eating and I ultimately have to stop eating just after a few bites because nothing goes down and it feels like the food is sitting idle where my food pipe meets my stomach and a burp is stuck there with is a huge urge to burp it out but I am unable to do so thats why I keep on belching to get rid of it to no avail.

Sometimes the belching goes too bad that I vomit the food out.

Since I have breathing trouble I haven't been able to consider the doctors request to get an endoscopy and me and the doctors are just improvising and experimenting with the medicines but I just wanted to ask that are we supposed to take laxatives daily? since doctors in my place thought that its fine and safe? I have been taking one that is a mixture of sodium picosulphate and paraffin with milk of mangensia which is a strong laxative I suppose.

One gastro told me that it may be the inflammation of the intestines that is hindering the motility of food. Also the color of my stool has become clay colored or pale colored but the other two gastros mentioned a different story,

Now I am losing weight and turning lean because I have not been able to have a complete meal for days.

Liver profile was normal, cbc was normal, ultrasound was normal, but I haven't had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy so far due to my breathlessness.

So far I have tried the following medicines:

Antacids: Omeprazole, esomeprazole, pantoprazole, ranitidine effervescent tablests.

Pro-kinetic agents: Livosulpride, itopride, prucalopride metoclopramide

Antiemetics: Ondansetron

Dopamine agaonists: Dompridone 30mg

For COPD, I take

Deriphyllin 200mg once a day,

ambroxol 30mg once a day:

Torsemide 10mg with spirolactone 25mg once a day

For BP

Losartan pottasium 25mg once a day

I also have type 2 Diabetes and I take Metformin 500mg twice a day and Glimepride 2mg once a day for it.

Do you have any knowledge about these symptoms or any experience with such disease?

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10229 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:42 PM

so sorry for all your problems.  is it all possible for you to go to the mayo clinic or cleveland clinic. or even a motility clinic.   they could get you figured out and give you an accurate dx.

have you been tested for gastroparesis?

about laxatives--yes, some of us--especially those of us with colonic inertia (slow transit constipation) have to take laxatives daily in order to go if the constipation meds out there don't help us. . i had to.   my gastro docs told me that taking laxatives daily to keep things moving was better than developing a back up that could lead to an impaction. 

can you supplement your diet with boost or ensure or some kind of liquid nutrition drink so you can get nutrients  and not lose too much weight.  boost has a glucose control formula.  there are other nutritional drinks out there suitable for diabetics. ask your doc. 

i do hope you can find a doctor who can help you.    good luck.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 Constipated53

Constipated53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

so sorry for all your problems.  is it all possible for you to go to the mayo clinic or cleveland clinic. or even a motility clinic.   they could get you figured out and give you an accurate dx.

about laxatives--yes, some of us--especially those of us with colonic inertia (slow transit constipation) have to take laxatives daily in order to go if the constipation meds out there don't help us. . i had to.   my gastro docs told me that taking laxatives daily to keep things moving was better than developing a back up that could lead to an impaction. 

can you supplement your diet with boost or ensure or some kind of liquid nutrition drink so you can get nutrients  and not lose too much weight.  boost has a glucose control formula.  there are other nutritional drinks out there suitable for diabetics. ask your doc. 

Thanks annie,
For any diagnosis I need to have an endoscopy and only then the doctor would be able to tell whats wrong, they are money makers, a few stories here and there and a copy paste of the last prescription with a little titration and the next patient is called in so yeah docs have the same dirty book but I have tried metoclopramide that is usually prescribed for gastroparesis. Had only one tablet and an IV of metoclopramide from a local clinic, I am currently willing to get myself ready for the endocopy but I have to get to the hospital during the morning time when I am actually quite unable to go anywhere due to bowel struggle and abdominal discomfort, the COPD has also disabled me so I can't go anywhere without an oxygen cylinder these breathlessness and constipation issues have ruined my mobility completely. I hope I don't have anything serious.

#4 Constipated53

Constipated53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

Thanks annie,
For any diagnosis I need to have an endoscopy and only then the doctor would be able to tell whats wrong, they are money makers, a few stories here and there and a copy paste of the last prescription with a little titration and the next patient is called in so yeah docs have the same dirty book but I have tried metoclopramide that is usually prescribed for gastroparesis. Had only one tablet and an IV of metoclopramide from a local clinic, I am currently willing to get myself ready for the endocopy but I have to get to the hospital during the morning time when I am actually quite unable to go anywhere due to bowel struggle and abdominal discomfort, the COPD has also disabled me so I can't go anywhere without an oxygen cylinder these breathlessness and constipation issues have ruined my mobility completely. I hope I don't have anything serious.

#5 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10229 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:35 PM

so sorry.  i do wish you could somehow get some help.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#6 Constipated53

Constipated53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:24 AM

could it be hiatal hernia?

#7 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10229 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:00 AM

i suppose it could.  it's worth getting checked out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, constipation, dyspepsia, gastroparesis, hiatal hernia, belching, burping, vomiting, food

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here