Chronic Incomplete Evacuation - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Chronic Incomplete Evacuation

Incomplete stool evacuation impacted Obstructive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 g876305

g876305

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:08 PM

Advertisement
Something is wrong with my anus.
I thought maybe it was what I was eating or had to do with my weight.
Doesn't matter if it's solid or diarrhea.

When I poop I can't just wipe, I literally have to stick a finger in my anus and clear it out.

It's ruining my life, I've dealt with this for 19 years.
I don't know what to do.
My life revolves around what days I'm going to poop, can't go in public because of this.
Haven't told my parents or doctor, don't know how to explain it to them.
It's embarrassing, anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks for the help.

#2 ashyam86343

ashyam86343

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:06 AM

Hi g876...

I too have faced this problem nearly 6 months, assumed this is related to nerves & diet related issues.

I modified my diet, food timing ( made regular ) & sleep.  Now i pee only once a day just before bath, sometime i feel ... like in the evening, i will try to avoid. Controlled to pass only in morning before bath. Seems its improved my stool.

i also reduced my fibre intake & did yoga exercise to improve my nerves.

Now rarely i get evacuation issues.

#3 Nairhair95

Nairhair95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:01 AM

Something is wrong with my anus.
I thought maybe it was what I was eating or had to do with my weight.
Doesn't matter if it's solid or diarrhea.

When I poop I can't just wipe, I literally have to stick a finger in my anus and clear it out.

It's ruining my life, I've dealt with this for 19 years.
I don't know what to do.
My life revolves around what days I'm going to poop, can't go in public because of this.
Haven't told my parents or doctor, don't know how to explain it to them.
It's embarrassing, anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks for the help.

Oh my god. This is the exact same with me. It's been four years now of having this, maybe even more. When I first noticed it I was really alarmed. It really felt like there was something obstructing my poo from coming out and I also noticed I felt this incomplete feeling regardless of whether my poo is soft or hard. I actually relate to your having to use your finger to get out your poo. I know it's disgusting for people to hear but at one point it was so uncomfortable, because I really felt the urge to poo but nothing would come out, so I just had to get it out myself with my hands.

The feeling of incomplete evactuation is defintely the worst of all the symptoms I have. I always have had severe nausea recently and feeling like I would literally be sick for days on end but the feeling of not being able to push out your poo when you feel an urge to is really mentally draining. You try and try and hope it will come out this time and it doesn't. 

From my experience with this I do notice a link between stress and my symptoms. There is a difference between when I'm stressed out and when I'm more at peace. When I'm happier and not living in the past, obsessing over things I've noticed my poo's come out easier with only a little feeling of incomplete evacuation. Stress exacerbates the feeling of incomplete evacuation for me. 

Also just to add, keeping a food diary to basically kind of rule out your trigger foods is great. For example, I've noticed the combination of peanut butter on toast really makes me feel sluggish, get cramps and feel nausea. I'm not sure that it's the case that you should forever for the rest of your life avoid these foods though but while you're going through an episode of ibs and you're not feeling well you should stick to the foods that are easy on your bowels. If your really serious about it and I know this will make you roll your eyes but a bit of brisk exercise everyday can make a marked difference on your symptoms and how you're feeling. Combining that with eating healthily is really the best thing for me. It's kind of a lifestyle change for me because generally I'm quite lazy and have had bouts of depression but once I actually get in the routine again I notice the benefits pretty much straight away. 

It was honestly great to hear I'm not the only one with this gnawing feeling that your poo is stuck and won't come out. I've only just been told I might have IBS by my doctor recently, even though I thought it might be that, I'm now accepting that it probably is IBS. Once you know what you're dealing with it makes it a lot easier. Let me know on here anything else that you think is relevant and maybe we can exchange some helpful info between each other considering are symptoms are so similar. Good luck anyway.

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13111 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:32 AM

if you are having trouble with incomplete bowel movements and keep feeling like you need to go all day, you could have pelvic floor dysfunction.  with pfd, the pelvic floor muscles do not  coordinate and/or relax properly to allow easy passage of stool. ineffective pelvic floor muscle coordination results in inadequate relaxation of the pelvic floor while attempting to have a BM. the puborectalis muscle tightens and contracts when it is supposed to relax to allow passage of stool.  so you can't get it all out (incomplete) and keep having that "have to go " feeling all day.

pfd is not just a women's problem. men can develop it too.

a defecatory proctogram test will show if you have pfd as well as reveal if you have any other outlet problems like a rectal prolapse, etc. an anal manometry also helps diagnose pelvic floor problems.

biofeedback and physical therapy can be effective in correcting pfd.

also elevating your feet on something like a footstool, shoebox etc while sitting on a toilet can help straighten out the anorectal angle and allow for a more complete evacuation. so can using a squatty potty.

so you might want to mention this to your gastroenterologist and ask to get tested for it. here is a good link explaining it all:

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 g876305

g876305

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

Also to add, I'm a 19 y/o male. I don't remember when's the last I went and wiped one and done. Probably has been 5-7 years, once in a blue moon. Part of the reason I've never brought it up to my doctor is I'm 99% they'll find nothing wrong and won't know what's causing it. Currently don't have health insurance, don't wanna blow money on testing and they find nothing wrong with me. Which I'm afraid is what's gonna happen. Did speak to my doctor about some IBS symptoms a couple months ago, they gave me a list of foods to avoid which most of the foods on that list I rarely eat and or don't affect me.
If it comes down to it, I will get an ostomy surgery done. I'm at my wits ends with this.
*Note* I don't have issues with the urge of needing to poop, going to the bathroom no problems, it's just something with my anal canal that is causing this.
****Also with having to stick my finger up my butt to get it clean, it's not like removing solid pieces. It is pretty much like smeared remnants that are along the sides of my anus.

#6 Am1994

Am1994

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:17 PM

Your best choice is to research a really good Gastro who's known for listening!!! Ask around. Many gastros will hear your issues and after 5 minutes say "ok first we need to do a colonoscopy etc" and that will of course cost you money. Try to research a good doctor that will really hear out your problems and then you can see where to go from there. Good luck!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Incomplete, stool, evacuation, impacted, Obstructive

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here