Should I have gotten and endoscopy and colonoscopy? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Should I have gotten and endoscopy and colonoscopy?

endoscopy colonoscopy ibs treatment doctor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: How many people have gotten an endoscopy or colonoscopy?

Have you gotten an endoscopy?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Have you gotten a colonoscopy?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you think you should get these procedures done just to be sure you don't have some other digestive disorder?

How important is it to get these procedures done in order to be sure you have IBS and not something else?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nairhair95

Nairhair95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:48 AM

Advertisement

Hi,

I'm just wondering whether most people have gotten both an endoscopy and colonoscopy done. I was meant to get an endoscopy but when was talking to the doctor she kept pressing me about how I'm feeling and my stress levels and I started crying because I I haven't been in a very good place for the past few years. So now because she thinks I have psychological problems she thinks I have IBS and I don't think I'm going to get either an endoscopy or a colonoscopy anymore.

Should I be getting these medical procedures done to rule out all other possibilities? I've had a feeling of incomplete evacuation for four years now and also recently I had really bad episodes of nausea with one going on for over a week leaving me bed riden and forcing me to go to the A&E. I know I have stress and am in a bad place emotionally but I feel like I should have my stomach and bowels checked in case of something more serious? 

What do people think, should I press my doctor to get these procedures done, just so I know for sure? I don't think I'm crazy to think that makes sense, am I? 

#2 Barney71

Barney71

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:05 AM

Those two things aren't pleasant, but yeah you should push your doctors in my opinion. I actually find myself always pushing doctors into some additional tests, because you never know, right? There is nothing wrong with being a bit paranoid over your own body and your own health. I always do that. I mean, some things that I have pushed my doctors to weren't necessary, but some were quite a bit discovery - like some additional things that you can learn by those tests, so you should go for it. I know many people who take doctors and all those tests very lightly and it's not the best approach, my friend recently even injured his wrist and he didn't go to doctor about that, after a month it just got worse and now he gotta wait like 6 months for it to recover, instead of just two months if he went to doctor right ahead, so there is a lesson for him :)

#3 JeffR

JeffR

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:58 PM

I had both done in January to confirm I only have IBS and not something more serious (also family history of colon cancer).  The procedures themselves are not bad as they put you to sleep.....once you're out you don't feel a thing (it goes so fast you won't believe it's already over).

The worst is prepping for the colonoscopy.  There's no prep for the endoscopy (you just can't eat or drink anything the day of the procedure).

#4 loiscollis

loiscollis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:59 PM

Yes, and if you're over 40, it wouldn't hurt. They can both rule out a lot of things.

#5 desperategut

desperategut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:12 AM

I woke up during my colonoscopy - and it was not pleasant. They knocked me back out but I remember. Found nothing but ibs-d.

I still feel it is worthwhile to have done.

#6 Lee1991

Lee1991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:43 AM

Hello!
I have had both procedures done while sedated, it was great, I went in had my injection and woke up to coffee and biscuits.
The prep isnt so bad either, it was hard not being able to eat anything.
I was very anxious about having it done but it was definitely worth it to rule things out!

Good luck😊

#7 VinnyB

VinnyB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

I'm on the list for a colonoscopy...I have IBS symptoms (on and off) for 5 months...we'll see ..

#8 Maudlin

Maudlin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:35 AM

I need an endoscopy, but my doctor doesn't recommend it. 

I just want to know what the heck is wrong with my stomach. But I'm wagering that it's all in my mind for some reason.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: endoscopy, colonoscopy, ibs treatment, doctor

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here