IBS-A - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS-A

ibs-a alternating constipation diarrhea

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 katesanch

katesanch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:40 PM

Advertisement

Hey guys I've posted here once before and received a lot of support but my symptoms have recently changed quite a bit. 

So history: I have anxiety and my IBS is obviously anxiety related without a doubt, but it also seems to happen when I do not have anxiety. I have seen my GP and a gastroenterologist (though I'm considering asking for a referral to a different one). The GI doc had me taking a probiotic (which I still do) and then wanted me to take restoralax everyday??? But I have alternating IBS symptoms so I didn't think this made any sense - please correct me if I am wrong, but my GP also agreed and said I should only take that if I feel I need it (i.e.: constipation phases). She also had me taking metamucil - but it made me stomach VERY upset the first time I took it and I've been scared to take it again. 

I am a nursing student (second-entry, I already have a degree in History/Psychology) and my symptoms always seem to strike the worst on school days (just regular ones where I am NOT anxious). I have been prescribed lorazepam PRN for when I write exams because then my symptoms just go wild - totally anxiety related. I have yet to take it as it was just prescribed after I finished my last round of exams (I could not take it anymore) so I will be trying it this semester (before my exam once but I'm trying to find a comparable situation of anxiety to make sure it works properly). 

Generally speaking I have constipation for 3 days and then I get upset stomach - it's not always diarrhea, sometimes it is and other times it's just frequent/multiple BMs in a day which becomes extremely painful. I get cramping, bloating and a 'burning' sensation throughout my lower abdomen. If I get cramps they are usually LLQ localized, sometimes radiating to the centre of my pelvic bone (but they are not menstrual cramps, I am very aware of the difference). Even when I have constipation I usually get discomfort in my lower abdomen, minor cramping and definitely bloating. The longer I am constipated too, the worse my flatulence gets (and the door is bad). 

Right now I take a probiotic daily (just the Jamieson one but if you have any suggestions i am open to switching) and a multivitamin. I wanted your advice before I go back on any of the fiber/etc that I have previously been told to take because I found before it just exacerbated symptoms of the D side of my IBS-A. I have also been drinking lemon tea at nights (with the C) and I drink peppermint tea most days now for cramping which is helpful but in no way a solution. I also take buscopan 10mg for cramps but lately I find it less effective than before and I find that it makes my stomach feel more pain sometimes (not always). 

Please share any wisdom or tips for me! I am going to start the LOW FODMAP diet again because when I did it for the GI doctor I couldn't get a f/u appt with her for 2 months (I was supposed to do it for 4 weeks) and I kind of fell off the wagon. Any probiotic/med/supplement/OTC meds suggestions you can give are greatly appreciated, and just general advice. I can't deal with this pain anymore and it's hard to go to the bathroom frequently in nursing as we are at clinical/in long lectures. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs-a, alternating, constipation, diarrhea

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here