HUGE side effect a from digestive enzymes? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

HUGE side effect a from digestive enzymes?

Enzymes gas loose stool diarrhea bloating

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scigal21

Scigal21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

Advertisement
Hi,

I've had a long struggle with ibs but things have been improving recently since taking a month long trial of rifaximin. I suffer mostly from pain and trapped gas, but also constipation.

I found some relief from taking digestive enzymes - Enzymedica Full spectrum for food intolerance support, one with each meal. Recently the store was out of that particular product so I tried the Enzymedica Dogest Gold with ATPro...and since starting them have had gradually worsening unusual symptoms - HORRIBLE awful smelling gas, in large volumes, stomach pain, and very very loose stools (but still constipated - just very loose when I do go). I stopped them and switched back to the old kind two days ago and I still feel really sick. The gas is so horrible I can't leave the house - the smell is so bad and I have to pass gas every few min. I also have no appetite whatsoever.

I'm worried that the enzymes were just a coincidence and that I have c diff or something especially since I finished the antibiotics not long ago (about three weeks). Has anyone had this kind of reaction from enzymes?? I didn't realize until after that the "Gold" one is wayyyy more potent than my regular enzyme but I haven't read of anyone having these side effects from it.

I'm in a panic as I recently was sick for an entire year. I only just started to feel better enough to work and I'm so scared I'll be back to square one with yet another gastro problem.

Thanks

#2 Scigal21

Scigal21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

Nobody? :(

I went into a clinic today and they gave me a c diff test to bring back asap. But the doctor thought it was more likely an intolerance or bug.

It hasn't gotten any better at all...any chance it could be WHITE RICE FLOUR? Ive recently used it to replace oats in my baking and have eaten a lot of it for the past week and a half or more...I would never have thought of it since its always been told to me that white rice is a safe food. But I've been so desperate to feel better it popped into my head.

If anyone has any advice please let me know. I got really sick this time last year and had to quit my job, leave school, and move home. It even caused my boyfriend and I to split after 4 years. I had surgery in april but my ibs was worse than ever after taking painkillers for a long period of time...I only just got my life back (for the most part) a month ago and this is scaring me. I have been diagnosed with ptsd from that incredibly painful and horrible time and this current illness is sending me through the roof with anxiety. Sorry for the rant - just please if you have any advice please let me know - this is how desperate I am

#3 blu1000

blu1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:26 PM

Hi, this is a very late response.  I seem to get this side effect from digestive enzymes.  It's been 20 years since I first noticed this, so I never took again til recently.  I'm not sure if I should try it for a week and see if it dissipates- I sort of think no.  It seems to really mess up my system.  I keep wondering why.

#4 Ilyria

Ilyria

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:03 AM

Hello
I've been taking Enzymedica Digest Spectrum for years 1-2 pills with my main meals so that would be 2 times a day. My body reacts badly or not good enough(like they have no effect) on other types of enzymes which is a real problem since my kind is not sold in my country and I have to go out of state to buy them.
I have had no side effects from any enzymes I've tried. So sorry I can't be more helpful

#5 Theirequal

Theirequal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:31 AM

I remember i also had side effects from some enzymes that were given a few years ago. however, i do not remember having such bad side effects. i guess it very much depends on each person individually.

anyway, how you are doing now?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Enzymes, gas, loose stool, diarrhea, bloating

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here