Surgery for C Considered? - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Surgery for C Considered?

surgery colon consipation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kikiveronica

kikiveronica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:59 AM

Advertisement

After my SITZ test showed markers in my transverse colon (slow transit) and my colonoscopy showed severe internal hemorrhoids and a bad fissure, I was given the option of surgery that would remove the ascending and transverse colon and attach the descending to the small intestine - this MD felt that constipation is the ROOT CAUSE of my dilemmas and this would solve it. However, my other GIs have been very conservative and all about meds and laxatives as opposed to surgery. Has anyone ever faced this?

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10235 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

when i had my sitz marker test, all of the markers were still in my colon  on day 5 and i was dx'd with colonic inertia. my gastro ordered some other tests for me which showed that i also had pelvic floor dysfunction, megacolon, rectal hyposensitivity and an overly long twisted colon.  i desperately wanted  a total colectomy with ileorectal anastomosis--where the entire colon (not just part of it)  is removed and the small intestine attached to the rectum--but because i had pfd, my colorectal surgeon said i would not be a good candidate for this kind of surgery.  so i had an ileostomy instead.  

and yes, you're right.  my gastro docs wanted a more conservative approach but i had been suffering with severe C for many many years--since childhood.   laxatives were no longer working well and i just wanted a better quality of life. 

we have had some people on here who have had a colectomy with either all or part of their colon removed.  hopefully they will respond to your post.  here is one post from someone who had recently had  surgery:

http://www.ibsgroup....-ibs-c-surgery/

good luck with everything. keep us posted.  take care.

• flossy likes this

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 kikiveronica

kikiveronica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

Thank you SO much for this information. I have not been diagnosed with PFD (yet) - was supposed to be tested for it today but had fissures so they want to wait. Tomorrow I will have my first internal hemorrhoid banding, and these are symptoms that have developed over time but continue to get worse so sometimes I just want to save my quality of life (I have suffered with C for 16 years now- I am 40) and have the surgery. Thanks for the link- I will read everything. 

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10235 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:06 PM

good luck with hemmie banding. hope that procedure helps your C.  

there's other posts on here about colectomies.  you could do a board search to find them.

good luck to you.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 kikiveronica

kikiveronica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:59 PM

Thanks so much. I will continue to search posts. I appreciate this group so much.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: surgery, colon, consipation

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here