Is this IBS or should I go to the doctor? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Is this IBS or should I go to the doctor?

ibs bloating abdominal bloating swelling gas abdominal pain discomfort

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rachelk123

rachelk123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:20 AM

Advertisement

Hi all,

I'm looking for peoples' inputs on whether they've experienced the same symptoms as me  and I really only have IBS or if I should head back to the doctor.

Long story short I have IBS and recently moved to Korea so I had access to IBS medication (because Koreans have medicine for everything). I was told to take it for 2 weeks, but a day or two before I was done with my prescribed medication, I had to switch medicines for a gum infection. The gum infection medication came with a stomach medication as I showed them what I was already taking. But in the process of taking the medication for 2 weeks and until now, I feel like my IBS has gotten worse. My digestion seems to be okay, as I can still eat and have an appetite for everything, BUT I physically can't. When I eat too much (which isn't too much), I get EXTREMELY bloated in my lower stomach area. Like I feel like the food is stretching my stomach to its maximum potential and I can't breathe or move around. And it lasts pretty much all day. I'm basically bloated slightly from the moment I wake up and then it just gets worse throughout each meal. + this is a pretty low symptom, but I have upper stomach pain as well. I can't tell if this has to do with my IBS, but it usually hurts most when I'm really full and my bloating is really intense or when I feel like I have trapped gas.

So my top symptoms are extremely heavy CONSTANT bloating with having taken medication that didn't help at all. I feel like these 2 symptoms are pretty unusual for IBS as I've read bloating shouldn't be 24/7 as mine seems to be, and medication should have helped if it was really IBS.

Thank you in advance for any input or answers or advice!!

- Rachel

**EDIT- I also sometimes have nausea.. not sure if this also has to do with my bloating or if it's a separate symptom but it happens here and there.

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12225 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

have you been tested for SIBO--small intestine bacterial overgrowth.  symptoms of sibo include severe bloating, gas, abdominal pain, among others.  ask your doc to get tested for it.

http://www.siboinfo.com/

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 rachelk123

rachelk123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:23 PM

have you been tested for SIBO--small intestine bacterial overgrowth.  symptoms of sibo include severe bloating, gas, abdominal pain, among others.  ask your doc to get tested for it.

http://www.siboinfo.com/

I have not! I looked into it and believe it's a strong possibility so I will ask to get tested. Thanks for your input!!

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12225 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:04 AM

oh, you're more than welcome smile.png .  good luck with everything.  hope you can find some relief.  take care.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 Barney71

Barney71

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

Hey, doesn't really matter what we think. If it's IBS or not, you should go the doctor either way. I was belittling my own issues as well. I'm not saying that you are belittling you rown issues as you seem to rather care about what is happening to you, but doctor visit is a must. There may be other problems beside IBS or much deeper ones, so you need to run thorough tests in order to make sure, that there is nothing more wrong. A lot of people is only going to the doctor once something hurts so badly, that they cannot manage with their daily life. It's wrong. You should go to the doctor or run tests whenever you think there may be something wrong and you get suspicious about it.
I'm not saying to be paranoid, but I found it to be much more safer approach.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, bloating, abdominal bloating, swelling, gas, abdominal pain, discomfort

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here