Rifaximin problems - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Rifaximin problems

Rifaximin Gas Bloating Smell

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Scigal21

Scigal21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:35 AM

Advertisement
Hi,

This is my second time taking rifaximin. The first finished about two months ago - I took it for 1 month. I felt great by the last two weeks of treatment and for a long while after, but then had a return of some symptoms. Very suddenly, I had loose stools, horrendous smelly gas and stomach pain. It seemed to come on suddenly, thought maybe it was a bug. In any case my doctor put me back on rifaximin for two weeks. Within a day of taking it I felt better - solid bowel movement and reduction in gas. But after about 4 days in, things went completely downhill. So much gas (5 second long flatulence every few minutes all day, bloated like I'm 6 months pregnant, loose but constipated stool) and discomfort. I don't know what's going on and wish I could stop the rifaximin now, but I've been told to keep going. I feel like I've screwed up my system permenantly and went from okay gas to unbearable - I seriously can't be in public since it is so copious and foul smelling.

Any advice? So scared

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rifaximin, Gas, Bloating, Smell

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here