How would you explain Irritable Bowel Syndrome to kids? - Your Story - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
- - - - -

How would you explain Irritable Bowel Syndrome to kids?

IBS Irritable Bowel Syndrome Kids Understanding Food Intolerances Stress

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AdamMieses

AdamMieses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

Advertisement
Last night me, my siblings and my aunt got together and talked to her children our cousins. They had questions regarding the incident with me, her and her husband and they over heard us talking about her condition and they over heard the letters(a boy who is 7 and a girl who is 5) I.B.S.. I was originally nervous about this talk since I have seen my aunt get frustrated to the point of sobbing in tears but she was very open and calm which made us glad. She went to explain that when she is scared, angry, stressed and anxious she has to go the potty ASAP. I helped to explain the brain gut axis and how they are conncected. When they asked about foods she told them that she cant have spicy foods, soft drinks(except ginger ale which is very helpful to her) because they make her go to the potty to. We then went on to the positive things that IBS may be hard but its not the end of the world you can treat it with, diet changes, life style changes, great meds to help control like for example diarrhea and counseling can help. At the end of it we just hugged and continued on with our night. My aunts been suffering this $h!T(no pun intended) for 20 years she is no stranger to it. Now that they are able to understand her condition it will be a lot easier not only for them and but her to. But what I came here to ask is if you were in the same situation how would you tell kids that really dont know better and are curious to know?

#2 Mark Danielson

Mark Danielson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

I would tell them the truth and nothing but the truth. Your cousins are at an age where they really don’t know better. Awesome you gathered around and talked about it I wish my family would have done that with me. I feel for your aunt as I suffer from IBS D too. Take care and never stop supporting her it really helps.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Kids, Understanding, Food Intolerances, Stress

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here