Found an Interesting study on IBS Could be useful; 4-week Diet-makeover Challenge? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Found an Interesting study on IBS Could be useful; 4-week Diet-makeover Challenge?

ResearchIBS Diet Bacteria

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CalmWaters

CalmWaters

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

Advertisement

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5470704/

To summarize, this study, which includes a small group of 21 people who are healthy but experience symptoms related to IBS, have undergone a 4 week diet plan. Of course, you're going to think something along the lines of "but these are healthy people, how can they be comparable to us?" But let me tell you this, these people serve as a control group for the diet. Let's experiment on ourselves. There's literally no harm in changing a diet for the better. But some of you have probably tried this. Some of you have probably given up. If this isn't helpful for you, I apologize, but we're trying our best to help.

Note that none of these people are taking probiotics to start off. First, they're restricting certain types of bacteria, be it methanogens (constipating bacteria) or diarrhea-causing bacteria, for 2 weeks. A gut microbiome can change in 4 days (another study I don't have the link to). Afterwards, bacteria based on that diet will remain for that week. In the second week, more prebiotic foods are eaten. Probiotics are introduced later in the 3rd week. This diet will be good for people with IBS-C. Just don't take too much insoluble fiber at once because that can be extremely constipating, it's like plain oatmeal. For IBS-D people, go for kimchi during week 3. Guaranteed you'll have solid stool. But it's all about a matter of balance. 

And yes, Jeannette Hyde doesn't sound like the most appealing author of this article because she's an MD who probably wrote a book for profit and has this whole marketing scheme on diet plans but she has worked with an author who has done a lot of research on bacteria.

I'm gonna try this after two weeks of exams. God speed, everyone! Please update!biggrin.png

So here are the diet plans:

Throughout the four weeks, participants

• Eat three main meals per day, no snacks between.
  • Undergo a 12-hour overnight fast between dinner and breakfast, with just water permitted between.
  • Eat seven American cupfuls of plants (uncooked volume) per day (five as vegetables, two as fruit).
  • Eat protein with each meal (either animal, fish, eggs, nuts, or seeds).
  • Eat between 20 and 30 different types of plants (fresh herbs, vegetables, and fruits) over the course of a week for variety.
  • Use extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil as their default cooking oils.
  • Chew food thoroughly–aiming for approximately 20 chews per mouthful.
  • Do not count or restrict calories.

In the second half of the plan (weeks 2–4) participants also
  • Can eat butter and ghee.
  • Consume probiotic foods such as fermented milk kefir, sauerkraut, tempeh, and miso.
  • Increase their intake of prebiotic vegetables such as bananas, fennel, asparagus, cold potatoes, onions, garlic, leeks, fennel, Jerusalem artichokes, pak [bok] choi.
  • Consume bone broth/stock.

Excluded from the diet throughout the four weeks
  • Refined sugars.
  • Grains (e.g. wheat, rice, oats, maize, quinoa) and pulses (e.g. lentils and beans)
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Dairy (can be reintroduced after 2 weeks if no adverse symptoms on re-introduction)

#2 ♧Pandora☆

♧Pandora☆

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:54 AM

Hey you should consider an intolerance test before following any diet.
You must know what foods your own body wants in order to become symptom free.

I was intolerant to cows product's , leeks, oinions, garlic, bananas, potatoes,coconut, and all fermented foods as i had gut fermentation syndrome.

Ones you haven't listed like lemons, limes, oranges etc i was also intolerant to.

I was intolerant to all cow products but not to any goat products.

But i wasn't intolerant to any lentils, beans, pulese, rice, oats, quinoa.
These were a big part of my healing diet

Its best to know for sure what your own body sees as an invader.
  • minimalizer likes this

#3 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

This test is not for truly extremely painful IBS. It would cause severe pain eating all that rough fiber. You can use all the probiotics available too, and still have a "motility" problem, which the Eating For IBS helps with, maybe even a modified version. For some, fat, especially at the beginning of a meal can be a huge trigger. It's not only what you eat, but how. Also, sleep and drinking alot of water to go with your fiber many discount. When your stools are moving twice/day there is alot less gas, due to enough water moving the fiber through, that has to be taken into account.

• ♧Pandora☆ likes this

1/04/18: Pain's my main problem. IBS-D prone, but not with methylcellulose soluble non-gassy caplets still, 2 before anything eaten.  Also, 10C water/day (Have to if taking fiber supplement and soluble foods). Frequent, small and well chewed meals. No more salads, seeds or peel, whole grains, raw vegetables STILL. Have used in the past antispasmotics, low dose tricyclic anti-depressent (for ibs and inflammation)/both VERY drying even at low amounts and disorienting, CBD oil and IBgard's encapsulated peppermint (works better than older type enteric peppermint). Have occasional inflammation in illium at end of small intestine, but it was not crohns. Activated charcoal when needed for flatulence, simethicone only works on upper stomach area for upper gas (burping) right away btw, not flatulence at end of g.i. track. Tried Kratom, good but itchy and didn't prevent a flare up from eating a wrong foods. Raising dosage didn't kick down inflammation. Now back to being certified for (legally available here) medical high CBD Cannabis/Marijuana RSO (thick oil form), more expensive. I needed more anti-inflammitory help from the THC in regular cannabis oil, instead of just CBD oil.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ResearchIBS, Diet, Bacteria

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here