Post-Infection 21yr old Female College Student - Going to school - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Post-Infection 21yr old Female College Student

C. diff post infection PI-IBS relationships Viberzi

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 doggo

doggo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:35 AM

Advertisement

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for a long time and finally decided to post because I need emotional support.  I'm going to school for environmental health and plan to attend law school after I get my bachelor's.  My school is the best one in the country for environmental stuff and is super challenging.  September of 2016 I was diagnosed with C. difficile which I fought for about 9 months, while still attending class.  I took 4 or 5 courses of antibiotics, cleared it for 2 months, then had a recurrence of the disease.  That nightmare was 'solved' with a fecal microbiota transplant (fmt).  After that I continued to have the same symptoms of cramping, nausea, and diarrhea which my doctor labeled as post-infection IBS. 

Now it is about 9 months after the fmt and the IBS has not improved, though I have found that Viberzi works well for me.  What I came here to post about is the crushing anxiety I deal with, knowing that I may have another recurrence of C. difficile at any point.  According to my doctor at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, C. diff is pretty much guaranteed for me again if I take any antibiotic.  I wonder, how can I go my entire life without taking antibiotics ever again?  It's a time bomb that could ruin my education, career, relationship, and life.  Not to mention the daily struggles of cancelling plans and not being able to leave my apartment due to the post infection IBS-D I have now.  I have lost all of my friends, and I feel lucky that my boyfriend even puts up with me.  I see a counselor once a week about this stuff, and tried anxiety medication but couldn't deal with the side effects.  I need to hear from some other people about how they deal with it.

Thanks for reading, just looking for some kindred spirits,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: C. diff, post infection, PI-IBS, relationships, Viberzi

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here