Panic/PTSD? - Mental Health - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Panic/PTSD?

anxiety PTSD C. diff IBS-PI

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doggo

doggo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:57 PM

Advertisement

This may sound silly, but is it possible to have something like PTSD after a major illness?  I had a recurrent C. difficile infection for about a year, and it was an absolute nightmare.  During the worst of it i didn't want to be alive anymore.  Between the lack of effective medical care and compassion from my doctors, and the attitude from my family that the problem was mostly in my head, I had no one to turn to and didn't see a point in anything anymore.  Now I absolutely hate going back to the medical building where I was diagnosed or calling the office, and I panic at the slightest sign of stomach upset.  I feel anxious/on the verge of panic all the time, and the drug Effexor did not do much to ease my fears.  I see a counselor about the worry and it helps a bit.

Thoughts?

#2 Candide

Candide

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

Yes I think it's possible to get PTSD from IBS, and other horrible events that give you a psychological shock. Look up the symptoms of PTSD in the DSM-V and see if you can identify with them. Similar to depression, it is not possible to compare everyone and decide who is suffering from it and who is not.

#3 ccoleman

ccoleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:30 AM

There's a strong link between stress and IBS. People who have IBS also seem to have higher rates of exposure to traumatic events. It sounds like your social anxiety is linked up with your IBS, and the fear of soiling yourself may be the root cause.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anxiety, PTSD, C. diff, IBS-PI

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here