PLEASE HELP - VERY SCARED OF SYMPTOMS - ITS A LONG POST, BUT PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN HELP :( - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

PLEASE HELP - VERY SCARED OF SYMPTOMS - ITS A LONG POST, BUT PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN HELP :(

YELLOWISH BROWN STOOL POSSIBLE IBS BLACK SPECKS DISCOMFORT WEIGHT MEDICATION BOWEL CHANGES SCARED ADVICE SMALL PIECES AFTER BM

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mlarosa84

mlarosa84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

Advertisement

Hello everyone. I have such a long story to tell, I don't know where to begin. This is very long and I thank anyone who takes the time to read this and has any support and advice!

My name is Michael. I will be 33 on December 22 and I am from NY. At the end of February 2016, I went to the walk in doctor for some slight discomfort in my upper left chest. It wasn't too bad, but I wanted to get it checked out. They did an EKG and it came up that I had an extra heart beat, but we all agreed that it was because I was very nervous which I was. They also did a round of routine blood work, which made me extremely nervous, not because of the needle or anything, but the waiting and wondering what was going on. I hadn't been to the doctor in a number of years, so I guess it was over due. The next day, I got the results back. My cholesterol was high, but not high enough to be on medication for. The doctor asked me if I was a drinker. I said only some beers at night after work, never any hard liquor. She then told me that my liver enzymes were elevated. At this time, I was roughly 210lbs and didn't eat very good at all. This sent me into an immediate panic because my grandmother on my mothers side died of liver cancer in her 60's and never drank in her life. They immediately repeated the liver panel portion of the test, tis time testing for Hepatitis A, B, and C, GGTP. The new results were that my liver enzymes were still elevated as they only went down a very small amount. I was negative for Hepatitis A, B, and C although I was reactive for Hepatitis A. They said that was because I probably ate something that was contaminated, but they were explicitly clear that I do not have Hepatitis A and that I was only having a reactive response. They also said that I can't get it again because I am now immune to it. Hepatitis B I was vaccinated for and Hepatitis C, I was negative for. The doctor then referred me to get a CT Scan of the abdomen and pelvis with and without contrast. The results of that were that I had a fatty liver and a confirmation with an MRI with and without Gadolinium was needed. My colon showed: no obstruction or wall thickening, I will get to that part in a bit. So after hearing all of this, the doctor gave me a referral to a Gastroenterologist. Before I went to the Gastroenterologist, I went to a top notch Cardiologist in my area because I have a history of heart problems on my father's side of the family. The Cardiologist did an EKG, ECHO, and stress test, all of them came back normal. Nothing was off. I then proceeded to show him my blood work and CT Scan results. On them, under the liver, it stated "3cm indeterminate hypodense region too small to characterize. Further characterization with MRI with and without Gadolinium recommended." This Cardiologist is the type of doctor who is so cautious, that he gets more nervous than the patients do. I asked him, if I go for the MRI, can I put this to rest? He said he thinks so. So I go for the MRI and the results were that I have Diffuse Hepatic Steatosis, which is the medical term for a fatty liver. No liver cancer! I was relieved, but a new battle with stress, depression, and anxiety was about to begin. I stated to change my diet and I immediately cut out things that were bad for me cold! I lost 20 pounds in a month which sent me into a panic and thus my colon cancer fears began. I started paying more attention to my bowel habits. What time I would go, what it looked like, how it was shaped, the texture, everything you can think of. I was in full panic. I did end up going to a Gastroenterologist. He felt and listened to my stomach and did a digital rectal exam which was negative for blood. I also went back a month later to the original doctor and had my blood work done again. My liver enzymes went down again substantially!!!

Fast forward a bit, I found myself going to another doctor on almost a weekly basis. I have had 5 emergency room visits. The panic is so bad. I am now at around 205lbs depending. I see a Psychotherapist once a week. I did also see a Psychiatrist who put me on medications, but after a year of being on them, I slowly started to wean myself off and I am only on a minimal dosage now until I am ready to taper off again, The Psychiatrist at one point told me to up my one dosage of the one medicine and at that point I questioned him and asked if there was any other way, and he said no. I got mad at that point and was doing great for a while. Lately my stomach has been feeling funny. I usually have a BM once in the morning when I wake up, but sometimes I will have one during the day. Lately, I have been having some days where during the day, I will have a small amount of stool in the rectum and I will have to manually remove it with my middle finger. I do this because I do have a hemorrhoid that I need to put cream on, that is when I feel the stool. I am so scared that all of these changed mean colon cancer. Every doctor I have seen says it is not likely. I do not have a strong family history of it. My grandfather on my moms side died of it at 61, but my mother was negative for it, they only removed a very tiny non cancerous polyp from her. My doctor says that is not a strong family history, I am just scared. Today, my morning BM was very long but was a yellowish brown sandy color with black pepper like specks in it. I had told that Gastroenterologist this back when I saw him and he said it was nothing. I gained much of the weight back that I lost which is contrary to colon cancer, but this fear is getting to me. I have a 2 year old baby I fear will grow up without me and I am constantly crying. Nobody seems to get it.

Much love to anyone who read this. Any support is appreciated!

#2 AquaGuy

AquaGuy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:09 PM

I know this is a very old post, but just want you to know the fears are mutual. I always fear colon cancer even though I eat healthy (vegan, while foods, no junk food or processed), exercise a lot, meditate... I know that is never a guarantee (we should never think anything is certain) and I’m only 24 with no family history and a history of stomach issues all my life, so I just keep repeating to myself “it’s just IBS” because I feel like if it were anything worse I’d be really ill now because while some symptoms are new they have slowly been appearing for a long time.

✌️

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: YELLOWISH BROWN STOOL, POSSIBLE IBS, BLACK SPECKS, DISCOMFORT, WEIGHT, MEDICATION, BOWEL CHANGES, SCARED, ADVICE, SMALL PIECES AFTER BM

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here