Drinking after meal gives IBS symptoms - Normal? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Drinking after meal gives IBS symptoms - Normal?

Drinking Symptoms Worse IBS Food Lunch Coke Sprite

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Maudlin

Maudlin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:47 PM

Advertisement

I noticed that drinking a beverage (soda or orange juice) just after eating makes me experience my typical IBS symptoms. When I don't drink anything right after eating, I don't seem to experience any symptoms (or at least, they're pretty mild).

What I do is, wait an hour or so after eating and then I drink my soda (usually sprite, at times coke - although coke can give me horrible symptoms). 

Why does this happen to me? Does drinking in a full stomach "saturate" the intensity of IBS sufferers? I am bewildered.

#2 Maudlin

Maudlin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:35 AM

Bump.

I can see why this hasn't gotten responses. Maybe I'm the only one that 'experiences' this oddity. 

• ♧Pandora☆ likes this

#3 ♧Pandora☆

♧Pandora☆

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:26 PM

Ph levels. Coke is like 2.5 others are 3.5. So bad for you.

Your body maybe taking time to digest the meal so cant handle the soda to.

Water is ph 7 so perfect, but even that should be drank 30mins before or after a meal. So it doesnt interfere with the strenght of your stomach acid

Coke is the worse to drink. You should quit soda.

#4 Maudlin

Maudlin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

Ph levels. Coke is like 2.5 others are 3.5. So bad for you.

Your body maybe taking time to digest the meal so cant handle the soda to.

Water is ph 7 so perfect, but even that should be drank 30mins before or after a meal. So it doesnt interfere with the strenght of your stomach acid

Coke is the worse to drink. You should quit soda.

I see. Thanks. No wonder I feel sick drinking just right after eating a meal. I'm glad that it works (waiting 30 mins-1 hr until I drink). Because my meal life was becoming hell.

Coke definitely makes my symptoms worse. But it's a hit or miss. Sometimes it gives me an upset stomach and sometimes I get no symptoms at all. It plays with your mind. Oddly, water is not so friendly to my stomach. I don't always drink it. I experience regurgitation from it. Perhaps it's just stomach sensitivity, I don't know. 

#5 ♧Pandora☆

♧Pandora☆

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

http://flatulencecur.../is-soda-acidic

Are you drinking tap water ? Some seem to react to it.
Try different bottled water.

Everyone has to drink water. You will end up really sick if you don't in the long run.

Hit and miss symptoms.. this depends on whether or not one is intolerant to it. If intolerant, what their tolerance level is. This level can change with stress, hormones, when one last had it, how much they had etc. There is alot of different symptoms intolerances can cause that affect mind and body from ones you may not even be aware of.

If not intolerant then there is still the fact its so acidic. Some may get more symptoms if say they ate a large meal containing alot of acidic forming foods right before drinking soda. Or may get less if they eat alot of alkaline foods before.

Another thing is coke etc really damages teeth etc so try to stop drinking it.

My mate went years without any symptoms at all. Drank like 3 plus cans aday and then got 7 kidney stones and really ill,even hospitals told her to stop drinking coke for good, she has, but treatments are not working so they want to remove gallbladder maybe.
Alot of the time people are not lucky enough to get any symptoms before its to late.
Im now glad my body gave me all my ibs symptoms (well not certain ones lol) as it meant i was lucky and had time to change my ways.

#6 ♧Pandora☆

♧Pandora☆

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:55 PM

https://www.google.c...&akamai-rum=off

http://www.lifehack....se-instead.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Drinking, Symptoms, Worse, IBS, Food, Lunch, Coke, Sprite

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here