Traveling outside the country with IBS-D - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Traveling outside the country with IBS-D

IBS-D travel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jcrackovan

jcrackovan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

Advertisement

I will be on a cruise to Scandanavia next month.  We will be having tours every day in mostly small towns.  I will be walking, on buses and on trains.  My IBS-D is much better controlled now on Viberzi but I still have episodes at times of explosive, watery diarrhea with only a couple of minutes warning.  I will take a back-pack with a change of pants and wipes but any suggestions for incontinence products, etc, that I could wear that would work to contain a mess if it happens?  Should I warn my guides ahead of time about a potential problem? Thanks for any advice.

#2 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:07 PM

I feel your pain.   I've been to Europe a couple times and my IBS is always on my mind.   I tend to avoid guided tours and strike out on my own.   One big plus is public restrooms are much more plentiful than here in the States.   Most big cities have lots in tourist areas and also at train and metro stations.   Here in Chicago if you ride the "el" and need a restroom you are screwed.   I don't have any experience in small town Scandinavia,   but I know in France and Italy even small town train stations usually had restrooms.  

#3 Granddad

Granddad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

My problem when traveling has been food. If I control my diet and keep loperamide handy the diarrhea isn't a problem. We took a trip to Namibia last year, stayed in some 1st class lodges  and I anticipated little problem because all the meals (all inclusive) were buffet style. WRONG! What wasn't loaded with onion and garlic was loaded with hot spices. One meal I was stuck with springbok steak and dry pasta. Breakfasts were usually fine so I ended up eating my fill at breakfast and making myself bacon and egg sandwiches for lunch. Dinner would be whatever I could eat. Explaining to the chef only worked in 2 establishments, the rest didn't understand the issue and made promises just to be polite (that's the same in most places, USA and Europe, too, they seem to think you're just being picky and that you won't notice a little onion powder in the gravy).

Control was vital because there were times in the desert when we were 3 or 4 hours between toilets. biggrin.png
(The roads are practically empty so for #1 you just stand behind the car and water the desert.)

Since then I always make sure we're self catering when we take a holiday.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-D, travel

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here