Change in bowel habits and abdominal pain - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Change in bowel habits and abdominal pain

ibs flatulence constipation abdominal pain hypothyroidism

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jojo118

Jojo118

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:49 PM

Advertisement

Hello

I am 33 years old, female. I first started having problems with my digestion/stomach in August 2012. I went to a walk-in centre with pains in my pelvis/stomach, causing me problems with my walking and lifting my right leg. The nurse I saw looked very worried and said I should get my thyroid checked because I looked tired, had a goitre and the pain I was reporting was suggestive of severe constipation caused by undiagnosed and untreated hypothyroidism.

I did have my thyroid checked in November 2011 but I was not notified of the results. Because of this I carried on like this for another year and I went to hospital with the same pains, that time a doctor I saw there said my oesophagus was slightly narrow and he could feel "pockets" of stool accumulating in my bowel. I was sent away with laxatives (Movicol)

​Since diagnosis of hypothyroidism in 2013 I have been getting these instances of "rushes" to the bathroom with constipation. It tends to happen every day, usually between the hours of 7-10 in the morning. I get a sudden pain in my bottom or back or pelvis or stomach and it pulls down towards my anus. Usually something like a cup of tea is enough to trigger it, sometimes nothing at all. I then run to the bathroom to evacuate. The stool always comes out hard and difficult to pass, I always strain when on the toilet.

In 2014 I had waves of colicky pain in my ribs and pelvis that made me shiver in agony. This woke me from my sleep and I spent all night awake on the sofa in the lounge with cups of herbal tea and hot water bottles to try to settle the pain. This has happened twice in total.

​The reason I have come here today is that I want to know what is causing my symptoms, they have gone on for so long and seem to be getting worse. I have been getting episodes of burning, nausea, smelly gas, bloating, abdominal pains, loss of appetite and the hard stool is not "rushing" out like it tends to do in the mornings and comes out much later in the day, sometimes more than once. I get pains in the backs of my ribs as well. I have no idea what it is, a GP diagnosed me with IBS in 2015 and again in 2016 but then coeliac disease was suspected and never tested.

​I don't have much luck with laxatives as they tend to dehydrate me very easily even when I drink a lot of water with them and my stomach also spasms in pain. My diet is not great but that's mainly because husband and I work and have little time to cook/prepare.

​I am also deficient in iron, vitamin D and folate and I have B12 injections, too. I have never taken iron tablets, just an iron infusion from when my iron deficiency became very bad.

Any advice/tips would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance

Possible coeliac disease suspected 2016
​Suspected IBS (not confirmed) 2015 and again in 2016
​Constipation since 2011, worsened by 2012 and worsened again in 2013 and 2014 - now very much unbearable from 2015 - present
​Movicol prescribed 2012
​Laxido prescribed 2015 and again in 2017 but have found both types of laxative very dehydrating despite me drinking enough water when taking them

#2 ashyam86343

ashyam86343

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:33 AM

Hey Jo.

Sorry to hear about your issues. your problems are well written & pretty clear to understand the is history. One thing i feel missing is what is your current issues.

Your problem seems to be IBS like doctor said.

As you indicated, B12 & D deficiencies will do exactly and you need to find out why your vitamins are lacking and not absorbing from your intake.  Are your diet is good with sufficient nutrients ? are your physical exercise is good ? is your sleep & eating time is good ? 

Have you seen dietitian or Naturopath ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, flatulence, constipation, abdominal pain, hypothyroidism

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here