Post infectious IBS and waking at night... - Website Help - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
- - - - -

Post infectious IBS and waking at night...

nighttime cramps pain postinfectious

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mbdavis1976

mbdavis1976

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

Advertisement

Hello,

New to the site but a long time sufferer of IBS-A.  Recently (a few weeks ago) had what I figured was a gastroenteritis infection (a day's worth of cramps, diarrhea, vomiting and chills).  GI doc ordered a CBC and stool studies (giardia, c diff, bacterial culture, cryptosporidium) all of which were negative.  Since then my IBS has been out of control.  Some days are better than others.  But I've had trouble sleeping a couple of nights due to waking up with cramps and bloating and even the urge to have a BM (or 2) in the middle of the night.  Anyone else experience this?  A little freaked out about the "waking from sleep" issue.  GI has ordered a colonoscopy but won't be done for a couple weeks.  Given my history with IBS I think it's most likely a post infectious flare up of my pre existing IBS but it's been pretty bad.  Just looking for anyone who's experienced similar symptoms.

Thanks for any input.

Max

#2 RoryT

RoryT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:37 AM

I've had at least two GI infections. One caused my IBS, the other made it worse. Sounds like it might be like your situation. The second time my acute symptoms lasted about a month. I lost 20kg and felt absolutely miserable. I eventually got tested and they detected blastocysistis hominis. After a tonne of antibiotics from the CDD I eradicated the blasto, but my general IBS has continued. I am looking into doing another round of targeted antibiotics followed by some remedial protocol involving fecal transplant capsules. It's all very expensive and results are NOT guaranteed. But there are few options.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nighttime, cramps, pain, postinfectious

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here