Classically condition a neurogenic bowel? - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Classically condition a neurogenic bowel?

constipation condition classically bowel regimen bowel regimen

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 aac159

aac159

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:11 PM

Advertisement

I had a curious thought the other day. I have spina bifida and all that comes with a neurogenic bowel and all that. I read somewhere that you may be able to "train" your bowel with laxatives at the same time every night and going to the bathroom at the same time every morning in order to train your bowl. I'm studying for my neuro exam in medical school and I had a curious thought 

Anyone familiar with classical conditioning and Pavlov's dogs? I was wondering if you can pair your urge to defecate because of the laxatives, with another stimulus, for example the smell of mint oil or some other potent unusual smell. That is, when you start getting your bowel movements you have that smell around and you pair that sensation with a bowel movement?

This may be completely impossible and since this won't really help me with my neuro exam, I cant look into the neurophysiology or neuroanatomy needed for something like this to happen. But I used this post as my small break to see if anything comes out it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: constipation, condition, classically, bowel regimen, bowel, regimen

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here