Do I have IBS? Have large amounts of gas in evening... - Gas / Flatulence / Bloating - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Do I have IBS? Have large amounts of gas in evening...

gas flatulence vegan vegetarian

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 karen345

karen345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:52 AM

Advertisement

I have been always very gassy in the evenings for a few years now (since I started eating more fibre). I was vegan in 2016 but now I am a pescetarian. I never used to have this problem before I was vegan but since 2016 I have noticed that I always have gas in the evenings. I've kept a food diary and have noticed that it's the worst when I eat oats and lots of fruits and veggies but even if I avoid these things, I still have gas in the evening!!! Recently I've been trying to eat more like I did before 2016 (more processed foods and dairy) but it doesn't seem to make things much better. I have tried everything over the years: activated charcoal, different digestive enzymes, different probiotics, natural herb mixes, peppermint oil, yogurt, apple cider vinegar, ginger, fennel but nothing seemed to work! I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my digestive system. It's so frustrating as the gas comes every evening around the same time no matter what I eat. There was one day a couple months ago when I have no gas as I skipped lunch and just ate processed snacks (as I was travelling) but this would not be very healthy or sustainable..... I don't think I have any of the other IBS symptoms (apart from having 2-5 bowel movements a day but that's caused by the amount of fibre I'm eating) so I'm not sure what's wrong with me.....

This is my typical diet for the day when I'm not making a huge effort to cut down on fibre:

Breakfast:

-oatmeal, fruit (banana, berries), nuts (sometimes chia seeds too)

Lunch:

wrap with hummus falafel and veggies

Dinner:

Fish or bean curry with veggies and rice

Snacks:

fruit

nuts

dried fruit

dark chocolate

This is my typical diet for the day when I'm trying to cut down on fibre:

Breakfast:

rice flake porridge, fruit, seeds

Lunch:

cheese toastie with spinach, tomato, olives

Dinner:

tofu/fish curry with veggies and rice

Snacks:

dark chocolate

rice cakes

yogurt, fruit

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I am desperate because I don't know what else to do. Also I won't be able to go to any expensive doctor as I am a uni student and don't have that kind of money.

#2 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

I've had IBS-D for over 25 years.   Just about every day gas begins to build up in the afternoon and continues to get worse in the evening.  I've tried different diets,   medications,   everything you can think of and nothing seems to stop it.   Very frustrating

#3 romac

romac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:21 AM

I have IBS© and have been troubled by excessive gas for a very long time. My observation, from the behaviour of my particular systems is that it takes 7 hours from eating, to producing gas in industrial quantities. It took me a long time to figure out that the gas reaction wasn't coming from the previous meal, but from the meal before that. So 7 hours after breakfast (mid-afternoon gas), the same after lunch (mid-evening discomfort), and after dinner (2-3am disruption).I used to be puzzled as to why I had no problem in the mornings following breakfast. The 7 hour gap between eating and gas was the reason.

I know this post doesn't solve any problems really, but for me at least I can plan my day now. For instance, if I am going out for the evening socially, I skip lunch to avoid discomfort and embarrassment.

• L0ser likes this

#4 Jenell_Cave

Jenell_Cave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:51 PM

There are numerous causes due to which you are experiencing gassy in the evening. May be you are eating a large amount of fibre, eating a food your sensitive to, Gut Bacteria can be the root cause of gas and you have a gastrointestinal disorder.

Too much air swallowing can be the reason of gas, it is called the aerophagia. Drinking carbonated beverages, too much smoking, eating or drinking too fast these can be the real cause of your gas problem. If you have any of this task in your daily routine, it is the real cause of your gas problem.

You have to analyse by yourself and you will find the real cause by your own. You can find great information about evening gas causes and treatement in following blogs -

https://www.practo.com/consult/excessive-stomach-gas-in-the-evening-i-have-been-having-excessive-gas-in-the-evening-i-am-doing-exercise-daily-from/q

https://www.everydayhealth.com/digestive-health/surprising-causes-of-excessive-gas.aspx

http://phlabs.com/6-ways-to-stop-ibs-from-raining-on-your-parade

https://www.everyday...essive-gas.aspx

• L0ser likes this

#5 ASTORIA

ASTORIA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:42 AM

I notice that BEANO digestive supplement works for me because the Beano works at digesting the fruit and veggies.

#6 Kenny

Kenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 June 2020 - 01:57 AM

I have the exact same problem with gas . For me , I have diarrhea in the mornings (multiple bm'S), stomach settles down by afternoon. Everyday at about 5:30 pm to 6 pm the gas starts. It is not occasional gas , I pass gas continuously lets say at intervals of every 10-15 mins until i fall asleep.Its extremely annoying and i avoid leaving the house in the evenings.

I agree with romac about why the gas starts at around the same time everyday . It takes a good 6-8 hours for the food to reach your colon and the trouble starts once it reaches your colon.

If anybody finds a cure to this ridiculous amount of gas , please help us by posting the solution on this thread

#7 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:50 PM

I'm  exactly the same Kenny.   I'm tried all the over-counter gas pills and none have done anything.   I mean nothing. 

• Kenny likes this

#8 NoHelp

NoHelp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:39 AM

I also have this problem.

I did some test, but it seems like I have a parasite called blasto... however its not certain it is that what is causing me problems... as for now I dont see it getting better with med. and not all doctors believe this parasite can cause symptoms.

My other guess is, that it's an internal prolapse. I knew a few who have this same gas problem when getting some type of prolapse.

I asked 2 doctors if a rectal prolapse can cause gas problems like I described, and he says that it's possible.

However, I didnt do the test for that yet.

I know many others who have gas problems like this, they did all test possible and everything is fine. but the only test they never did was a defecography to check if everything down there works correctly. it's very possible this whole condition is a physical problem rather than bacteria like.

However a normal gastro doctor aren't very smart, they blieve a prolapse can only be caused by labor and if you are a girl.

You need to see a real colorectal doctor, they are smart and know almost everything.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gas, flatulence, vegan, vegetarian

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here