IBS has become unbearable - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS has become unbearable

IBS help m.e cfs diet medication alternative medicine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rich_pip

rich_pip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:33 AM

Advertisement

Hi, I'm new here, and seeking any advice I can get.

I'm currently bed-bound with my IBS which has been getting progressively worse over the last four years after splitting up from an abusive ex partner, having to take her to court, and deal with the stress and anxiety of ongoing harassment and abuse. My symptoms are extensive so I won't list them all (I'd be bound to forget one), but can fill anyone in if needs be.

My diet is extremely limited. I'm not on the FODMAP diet as the variety of foods offered by the FODMAP don't work for me, and I'm at a point of just having to eat whatever I can, although I forever feel starving and weak and dizzy with hunger shakes no matter how much I eat. I saw a dietitian three times before they threw their hands up in the air and gave up on me.

I have seen several doctor's over the years who have all offered the standard IBS medications and anti-depressants (I used to be on anti-depressants but my IBS got so bad I could no longer tolerate them, and as such my depression and anxiety is really bad at the moment). I have tried about ten medications in total over the last four years, and all have extremely exacerbated my symptoms to the point that I have been writhing around in bed for weeks sweating, and with horrendous nausea and stomach pains. I never fully recover (as in get back to the state of health I was in before taking them) after taking these medications. Even paracetamol, ibuprofen, and peppermint oil have made things worse. As such, when I do see my doctor now, as it is always the first thing they offer, I refuse more medication and beg them to provide an alternative, because I can't bare to be knocked ten steps back again with yet another medication, when clearly that is too much for my body to handle right now. However, I'm sent out of their office 'empty-handed' and made to feel like I am refusing their help.

I'm in a real mess and don't seem to be getting any help. I suffer from CFS/M.E too which makes things worse, as it's not easy for me to get exercise, for example, as it is, and the two conditions seem to be exacerbating each other. I also suffer from depression, anxiety, and PTSD.

I did a few sessions of private hypnotherapy about a year ago which knocked the severity of my symptoms down a notch, but I currently cannot afford more and as such my symptoms went back to how they were pre-hypnotherapy. Likewise, counselling has helped a little, but I have exhausted the free counselling I was offered. I have tried meditation, and have started having a go at mindfulness, but not to much success. I've been taking probiotics for a couple of years - currently 20 billion bacteria - but they don't seem to be making a difference, and I've tried various combinations of vitamins and supplements. I am currently taking B12. I just stopped taking taurine and magnesium today (which I was trying for my M.E), as my bowels had got worse since starting them a week ago, so I will see if that improves things a little.

My symptoms have become unbearable and have grounded my life to a complete halt. I am currently unable to see my five year old daughter, and even just lying in bed, the severity of my symptoms make it a struggle to get through the day. With no help from medical professionals I have no idea where to turn to, but maybe someone here who is experiencing something similar might know something I don't.

I just read about EnteraGam. Is this something worth giving a go? I'm unsure what it contains, in the sense that I have bad reactions to medications and many other things. Does anyone know what's in it?

Thanks for reading smile.png

#2 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2113 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:05 PM

What type of IBS do you have (IBS-D, IBS-C or IBS-A)?

#3 rich_pip

rich_pip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:19 PM

I think I have IBS A. I always have either constipation on diarrhoea, often what feels like both at the same time. No doctor has ever told me what type I have.

#4 rich_pip

rich_pip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:06 AM

I should also mention that I've been tested for all sorts, some things twice, and all have come up negative, apart from my liver levels which were raised slightly, so I went back a month later to check them again and they were fine. A year later I've had them checked again along with various other things, and they are raised again. I have to go back in a couple of weeks to check them again. The doctors I've had have never explained why this would happen though. I don't drink alcohol and I don't do drugs.

I've also had an endoscopy and an ultra sound scan on my stomach.

#5 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2113 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:25 PM

Hi again rich_pip -

I try to reply to people who have IBS-C, as that's what I have. You definitely sound like you have IBS-A (alternating). With 'A'? I don't understand it enough to offer my advice and I'm sorry about that.

If you ever have any problems with constipation though, let me know!

Good luck on your quest & best wishes.

• rich_pip likes this

#6 Lawstudent27

Lawstudent27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:50 PM

Hi rich_pip,

I have ibs-c so I won't be of too much help, but just wanted to suggest some options that you might not have tried. Have you tried seeing an allergist for a food intolerance? Have you tried seeing a holistic doctor you might suggest some things you haven't tried yet? Lastly, you might want to check if there are any ongoing studies about ibs in the area where you live. I am from New York, where I just signed up for a study about the mental connection to ibs where i am going to receive counseling and behavioral tips and they will see if my symptoms improve. 

I mostly wanted to reply to your thread to let you know that you're not alone. I think it's great that you're trying different medications and treatments and I hope you can eventually find something that helps with your symptoms. I can tell you're doing your best, hang in there! I wish you the best!

-Lawstudent27

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS, help, m.e, cfs, diet, medication, alternative medicine

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here