NYTimes article seeking diagnosis to unresolved GI problem - IBS News, Media, Research Results, Discussion or Abstracts - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

NYTimes article seeking diagnosis to unresolved GI problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kc99

kc99

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:32 PM

Advertisement

Hi all,

I just noticed this interesting New York Times article on a teenager's unresolved GI problems:

https://nyti.ms/2MIvCYK

This is for their "Diagnosis" series, which requests that readers submit their ideas of what the appropriate diagnosis might be.

Her symptoms do not sound like IBS/lower GI problems.  As they note in the article, her symptoms are more reminiscent of cyclic vomiting syndrome or gastroparesis.

But I thought the article might be of interest here, because her experience seems so incredibly representative of the frustrations that many GI patients face in finding satisfactory diagnoses and treatment options. 

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9227 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:19 AM

hi kc99

great article. thanks for posting it!  

you are so right!    i know from experience how frustrating it is to try  to get the correct diagnosis and proper treatment for gastro problems as well as other health problems.

thanks!

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 kc99

kc99

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

Hopefully she finds some kind of effective treatment!  The article says that an update will be posted at some point.

#4 SolBrandt

SolBrandt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:21 PM

I started taking CBD oil to deal with some of the inflammation I was experiencing in my GI. It took a couple of months but it has had a profound effect on my overall comfort. There have been other positive effects as well such as improved mood and sleep.

I also have some friends who struggle with peripheral neuropathy from their diabetes and it has helped them as well. I am convinced it is a miracle supplement and now that the stigma attached with it is going away, there is more research being done about it.

Edited by SolBrandt, 27 October 2019 - 08:26 PM.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here