Low FODMAP traveling - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Low FODMAP traveling

travel new york low fodmap

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jw1591

jw1591

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:35 PM

Advertisement

Hi, I am new to low FODMAP and heading to New York city in two weeks.  Because I just started, I am not sure of what specific things I can tolerate. I'm very nervous about finding places to eat in nyc and not having any problems there.  Has anyone been to  New York city or lives there and has had good experiences with any restaurants?? 

• Ermine likes this

#2 Ermine

Ermine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

Not that I know anything about NYC, but I'm sure there are loads of options in a huge city like that.  One thing I do recommend is to take with you a few on the road items that you know are safe to help you regulate if you can't find what you need in the time you need it which is what happens to me especially if I'm traveling with other people.  Trader Joes snack items are a favourite.

Looking stuff up online and getting a restaurant guide is great for planning ahead.  That is how I survived San Francisco. lol

Have fun!

#3 awilli91

awilli91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:46 AM

I am sorry but I don't know NYC enough to be able to give you suggestions that way but I totally second what Ermine said.  I went to Disneyland recently and it really helped that I had low FODMAP granola bars and snacks with me just in case I couldn't find something to eat right away.  It was a life saver.  Most restaurants are really easy to work with and will help you possibly adjusting food on the menu to help you.  Gluten is a really big trigger for me and my friend who has celiac disease mentioned an app called "find me gluten free" which has been a game changer for me.  Basically it's an app where you can look and find places to eat that are gluten free.  If we went to places like that, then it was easy to take away some of the other things off the menu.  Good luck on your trip and have fun!  

• amyjones.official likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: travel, new york, low fodmap

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here