Is there a ranking of FODMAP foods by worst/best? - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Is there a ranking of FODMAP foods by worst/best?

fodmap

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lbeck02

lbeck02

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:38 PM

Advertisement

There are many lists of good and bad foods for a fodmap diet.  But most are categorized by food group and then alphabetically.  I believe that there is a spectrum of best to worst.  In other words, is watermelon only moderately bad, or is it the worst thing to indulge.  This is only an example, but most lists show watermelon as bad and cantaloupe as good.  Most other food rankings have numbers like calories, carbs, etc.

I'll appreciate a reference so that I can make wise choices - thanks.

#2 mellosphere

mellosphere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:30 AM

The lists are just a starting point. Its up to you to make your own list as far as how each food affects you. This takes a lot of time and agony but its the only way I know.

#3 lbeck02

lbeck02

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:17 PM

Thanks, Mellosphere.

My reason for posting here is that the lists that I find have conflicts or grey areas. Little black and white.  For instance, green vs. ripe bananas.  How green/ripe??  And onions - green part of scallions okay??  The spectrum of melons and beans also.

I'm thinking that a gram of baked beans may be equivalent to 10 grams of green beans, or am I wrong.  I'm left to guessing.

#4 fuzzypanda23

fuzzypanda23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

Talk to your gastrointerologist or a nutritionist. There are so many differing opinions online and in the different apps that are available that it can be overwhelmingly confusing, as you've experienced. I recently tried a FODMAPS A-Z app, and have only looked at it a handful of times. There are tons of conflicting information. This app is supposed to make it simple by utilizing a red and green light system to indicate whether the food is okay to eat. The problem comes in when it's green lighted but you actually read about the food and its got a couple of things wrong with it, or vice versa. Something can be labeled red but be all clear across the FODMAP board. It's annoying and frustrating, which is why I recommend talking to a professional whose job it is to understand these complicated systems. Nutritionist would probably be your best bet, they keep up to date on all the current health trends and should have the most information.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fodmap

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here