I'm New To This Group - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

I'm New To This Group

Linzess

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JanieM

JanieM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:05 PM

Advertisement

Hello everyone! I'm new to this group. I was diagnosed with IBS about four years ago. My main symptom is severe constipation. I've gone to the ER twice with severe dehydration caused by my constipation. The last time I went in was a month ago, and I took four bags of intravenous fluid! I've never been formally diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance, but trial and error has shown that I don't digest dairy well at all anymore. I can eat certain hard cheeses, but I try to avoid all dairy for the most part. All it does is aggravate my constipation and give me constipation, bloating and gas. I don't digest red meat well at all, so I avoid it for the most part. Chicken is okay and so is fish. I eat an egg almost every day. 
I recently got fed up with my Gastroenterologist because I felt she wasn't taking my condition seriously enough. She had me on a daily dose of Amitiza and it was doing absolutely nothing to help me. But she still insisted that it was the best medication for me to take. I found a new Gastroenterologist and he has recommended Lizness. But I'm worried about taking it because as soon as I went to research it online I read horror stories. One article states that it can actually cause heart attacks! I already have an high blood pressure and an irregular pulse. I'm on Lisinopril  to control my blood pressure and Metroprolol to control my pulse. These two medications combined have helped me tremendously. My blood pressure and pulse are completely under control now. In fact, they're better than ever. I now have the blood pressure and pulse of a woman in her 30's and I'm almost 62! I'd like to keep it that way!
Here's a link to the article I mentioind that warnted about using Lizness.

http://www.drug-inju...ey-issues.html|
My question for the group today is this. Have any of you tried Linzess and what has been your experience with it? My new Gastroenterologist gave me a few bottles of samples to try. I've been taking it for four days and it seems to be helping a bit. I have about eight pills left before I decide whether or not I want to have him call in a prescription for it. Any advice you can give me will be hepful. Thanks everyone!

#2 JanieM

JanieM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

Apparently the link to the article about the dangers of Lizness did not work. It works on my laptop. Maybe I didn't post it properly. I'll try again.

http://www.drug-inju...fey-issues.html

#3 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:09 PM

Hi JanieM -

Hello and welcome!

To reply:

I have some Linzess in my cupboard but haven't ever tried it yet. I probably never will.

IMHO? Intestinal Formula # 1 is the best stuff out there for chronic constipation that I've tried. I take it every day. Click on below link to view:

https://www.ibsgroup...-can-recommend/

Good luck and do keep us posted!

#4 JanieM

JanieM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:22 PM

Thank you Flossy! I'll look into that.

Just wondering. How did you find out about Intestinal Formula #1? Was is recommended by a doctor, or did you find it on your own?

To be honest, sometimes I'm wary about doctors recommendations for prescription medications, especially when they provide you with samples. Some doctors get kickbacks from pharmaceutical companies for recommending certain medications.

• flossy likes this

#5 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:05 AM

Thank you Flossy! I'll look into that.

Just wondering. How did you find out about Intestinal Formula #1? Was is recommended by a doctor, or did you find it on your own?

To be honest, sometimes I'm wary about doctors recommendations for prescription medications, especially when they provide you with samples. Some doctors get kickbacks from pharmaceutical companies for recommending certain medications.

I just tried a lot of different supplements to see what would work, so trial and error. The list of things I've tried is at the above link, on my first post.

Yes, the whole Big Pharma thing is nothing but a big racket. And they're all in on it. 'Natural is bad, pharma is good.' Give me a break.

Good luck & keep us posted!

#6 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12225 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:42 AM

i tried linzess but never was able to get it to work properly for me.  but that's me--i was a tough case.  for me, it worked for a week and then quit,  so i did some experimenting.

i found out this--the closer you take linzess to eating--ie: 20 minutes before breakfast or even right after you eat breakfast--or whatever meal--the quicker it works.  generally speaking that is.   like everything, your mileage may vary.

I found this out when experimenting with linzess and when I took it. if I took  it right after breakfast ( a breakfast with some healthy fat in it) , I have diarrhea off and on for about 6 hours or so. if I take it as prescribed, a half hour before breakfast, it doesn't work much--if any--at all. 

I told my gastro doc about this and he agreed. he has done research and has run clinical trials on linzess.  he told me that linzess works on the same receptors that food does.  so generally, the closer you take it to eating a meal, the more diarrhea you get.  and conversely, the more time that elapses between taking linzess and eating, the less D you get.    it's all in experimenting and finding out what works best for you.

still, i was never able to get it working properly for me.    you said that it seemed to be helping you, that's good.

• JanieM likes this

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#7 JanieM

JanieM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:12 AM

Thank you for that advice. The directions that came with my prescription say that I should take it 1/2 hour before eating. What happens then is that I end up doing chores while I wait that half hour and I before I know it an hour or two has passed before I eat. You're right, the days that I've eaten close to 1/2 hour after taking it I've had diarrhea within an hour and a half. The days I've waited too long I'm constipated. I'm going to take your advice and wait 15 minutes and see how that works.

#8 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12225 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:44 AM

oh yes--with linzess, you definitely don't want to wait an hour or two before eating breakfast. way too long, unless you're having problems with way too much D with it.

good luck with the 15 minutes.  if you get too much D with that, try 20 minutes.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#9 tdhcsc

tdhcsc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:51 PM

Linzess (for me) seems to work like a really fast laxitive.  The way it works makes me feel like I'm doing damage to my digestive tract & colon.  So far (2 weeks) I've been taking the 290 every day.  Good thing I'm retired as I couldn't go to work the way I am.  

Tried everything else I could with some great results for a short time, then it just stops working.  Have no idea why.

I think it's all about stress, or started with stress as the first time I had IBS-C was just after my fathers death,,, then it got worse after my mothers death 2 years later.  Now it's all about my own struggle to exist.

As Art Linkletter said,,  "Growing old isn't for sissys".

#10 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:03 PM

Linzess (for me) seems to work like a really fast laxitive.  The way it works makes me feel like I'm doing damage to my digestive tract & colon.  So far (2 weeks) I've been taking the 290 every day.  Good thing I'm retired as I couldn't go to work the way I am.  

Tried everything else I could with some great results for a short time, then it just stops working.  Have no idea why.

I think it's all about stress, or started with stress as the first time I had IBS-C was just after my fathers death,,, then it got worse after my mothers death 2 years later.  Now it's all about my own struggle to exist.

As Art Linkletter said,,  "Growing old isn't for sissys".

A lot of people post that Linzess worked well for a year or two and then? That's it.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here