Took antibiotic 4 days ago can I still take the SIBO breath test? - GI-related Diagnostic Tests - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Took antibiotic 4 days ago can I still take the SIBO breath test?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 heloooran3

heloooran3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:16 PM

Advertisement

Hi everyone,

I have a SIBO breath test scheduled for tomorrow morning and I am thinking about rescheduling because of antibiotics I took a couple days ago. I had a throat infection, went to the doctor, and was prescribed a course of Z-pak antibiotics. I took one of the pills but didn't finish the course beyond that because I remembered the test. Will that interfere with my test results enough for me to cancel and reschedule? I have also taken miralax in the last two weeks and eaten kefir. Should still take the test? I can't contact any of the doctors because the office is closed today and the test is tomorrow. 

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9964 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

according to this and other sources, you need to be off antibiotics for two weeks prior to the test. 

https://www.med.umic...Breath_Test.pdf

when you call to reschedule, you can ask them this question, but yes, from what i've read you should reschedule.

• heloooran3 likes this

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here