Update - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Update

ibs-c constipation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jthigpen

jthigpen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:16 PM

Advertisement

Hello all!
Since last posting, I have tried a number of new things in an attempt to relieve this daily constipation I've been plagued with. I tried aloe juice, Bentyl (gave it a shot bc why not at this point?), Slippery Elm, additional coffee in the a.m., probiotics, miralax (gave it ONE more shot..disappointed me), Philips Laxative Caplets, and prune juice. My combination of Milk of Magnesia and stimulant laxatives- I do 2 capfuls of MOM and 6 generic laxative tablets- has begun to fail me. I've been taking it here and there for the past month or so, and it worked well in the beginning, but now things are just off. I was really looking forward to using the Slippery Elm, as I have read many good things about it relieving constipation. Yesterday, I received my first bottle of I.F #1 in the mail..I took 3 in the middle of dinner last night and took 4 today in the middle of my dinner. It's yet to help...I have high hopes about I.F. #1, but should I try 5 tomorrow??

For the past 3 days, I've been having more difficulties passing BM in the mornings. I have very mild cramps throughout the night ( I take the MOM and stimulant lax about 6:30pm), and normally by the time I wake up, it's good to go. But lately, I've had a few waves of cramps and grumbles- I've even had the grumbles with associated "swishing" sound..like you can hear the watery stool- I don't know how else to describe it. But by the time I wake up, nothing happens. If anything, I have very minimal output- it's almost as if I can't feel the urge anymore. I will strain, provide abdominal massage, and still nothing. If feels like there must be a narrow passage or something, because it's so hard for me to pass anything.

I have a history of depression, and this certainly isn't helping the matter. I don't know how I'm expected to continue with college now..I've already moved home from dorms at my dream college to attend a local school. This is so frustrating. I need any advice you can offer.

Jen

#2 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:52 PM

When I first started taking I.F. # 1, I think I took 7 or 8 pills per day every day for months on end. Then I started buying the I.F. # 1 maximum strength, took one of those with two or three regular capsules every day. Point being, keep taking one extra pill per day until you think it's the correct amount for you. 

-Do you have any internal hemorrhoids that would keep you from going?

-I hope you're not taking any probiotics anymore, they usually don't work for CC, they make it worse. Same with fiber supplements.

-Keep in mind that if you are on meds for depression that they can make you (what else) more constipated.

Good luck and keep us posted!

#3 jthigpen

jthigpen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:29 PM

Hey Flossy!
Good info about the I.F#1- I was going to get the maximum strength, but couldn't find it on Amazon, so settled for the regular strength.

I haven't ever been told about internal hemorrhoids, but, then again, I don't have the best information coming from my GI doc. I will ask when I see him again. On my last patient care summary, it states that a colonoscopy will be recommended if the current therapies fail (lactulose and fiber *eye roll*). Would it be a bad idea to ask if, while waiting on scheduling for colonoscopy, to ask for a sitz marker to be done? I don't want to seem like I know more than medical professionals, but I also want to be a good advocate for myself.

Oh I definitely stopped the probiotics and fiber! I could not handle more than 5 days of 35g fiber. I haven't been on antidepressants in a few years, but might have to reconsider that soon. I will keep the constipation fact in the back of my mind. It all feels so unreal-- I'm only 20 and don't see how I'm supposed to live a semi-normal life at this point.

Thank you so much for your reply!

#4 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

Hi jthigpen -

You're very welcome for the reply.

I'm sorry but I can't help you with the sitz marker test as I don't know much about them and have never gotten one myself.

You can get the I.F. # 1 maximum strength (and regular strength too) right here:

https://www.herbdoc....l-formula-1-max

Hopefully the I.F. # 1 will start to kick in in a few days time. If not there is a bunch of other things I've tried that you can try to at the end of my post here, if interested:

https://www.ibsgroup...-can-recommend/

Good luck and keep us updated!

#5 jthigpen

jthigpen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:28 PM

So, have been taking I.F. #1 for a week now and have gradually increased to 7 capsules. So far, I haven't seen a difference, except for the burning sensation as I swallow them and the slight gas it's caused. Any ideas about this? I was hoping it would be just the right thing..slightly disappointed.

#6 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:27 AM

So, have been taking I.F. #1 for a week now and have gradually increased to 7 capsules. So far, I haven't seen a difference, except for the burning sensation as I swallow them and the slight gas it's caused. Any ideas about this? I was hoping it would be just the right thing..slightly disappointed.

Sorry to hear that. I'm disappointed too!

I think the amount I took for a long time was 7 or 8, but I'm thinking probably 8. (Actually it was one I.F. # 1 maximum strength and either 2 or 3 regular strength.) You might just need more.

Why do you think you have a burning sensation when you swallow them? Is it immediate?

Are you taking them with food, preferably during your main meal of the day?

Are you having a daily BM yet or no? If not, do you think you might have a fecal impaction? (If so, you might try giving yourself an enema with warm water to get things going.)

We have had a couple of people here who take either two or three of the maximum strength I.F. # 1 every day. (That = 10 or 15 regular strength pills.)

I don't often hear about people who have worse CC than I did without taking something, but you might be one of those people. Or it could be fecal impaction, that's why I said it might be a good idea to give yourself an enema. 

Good luck jthigpen and please keep us posted!

#7 jthigpen

jthigpen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:53 PM

Hey flossy,

My apologies for the very late reply. I am not sure what caused the burning sensation with I.F. #1..possibly the peppers in the ingredients list. I ended up increasing to 7 capsules, but did not find relief. I recently stopped (within the last 4 days), just because I began experiencing a lot of nausea after taking it.

#8 jthigpen

jthigpen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

Also, since I am here, I may as well let y'all know that the MR Defecography and lower endoscopic ultrasound have JUST now been ordered. It's taken a good while for my GI to even call it in- and the tests will be done at a hospital more than 1.5 hours away--different from what he told me. I'm almost ready to give up. I don't know what else to do at this point.

#9 Jasesun23

Jasesun23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:21 PM

Jthigpen have you read the salt water flush thread. I tried it once not using the correct amount of water. The second time it help me get to the toilet a couple times. Not great BM but first time I went to the bathroom in awhile. 

#10 jthigpen

jthigpen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:57 PM

Hey Jaesun23, I have read the thread. A salt water cleanse is something I would never consider, knowing what I know about the functioning of the human body. The benefits would not outweigh the side effects.

#11 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11076 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:09 PM

Also, since I am here, I may as well let y'all know that the MR Defecography and lower endoscopic ultrasound have JUST now been ordered. It's taken a good while for my GI to even call it in- and the tests will be done at a hospital more than 1.5 hours away--different from what he told me. I'm almost ready to give up. I don't know what else to do at this point.

oh what a shame that your gastro doc has taken so long to order those tests!  and also that you have to drive so far to get them done. that's very frustrating.  the hospital that i had to go to for my tests was about an hour away.

are you still going to have the anal manometry with balloon expulsion?

hope you can get those tests done soon.  good luck with everything. 

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs-c, constipation

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here