Atrantil - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Atrantil

bloating medication IBS-C

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Noelle1234

Noelle1234

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:06 PM

Advertisement

Hello, 

This is my first post, I was diagnosed with IBS-C about 3 weeks ago after suffering for an entire year! Has anyone taken Atrantil or knows anyone that has? I am considering trying it but don't want to waste more money on products that never work! 

Just wondering if anyone here has taken it and if I could get some real reviews, rather than those listed on common websites. 

Anything helps please! Really suffering from bloating and distention, there is a constant heaviness and uncomfortable feeling in my lower intestines.

Thank You!  

#2 Venusblue

Venusblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:17 AM

I am taking it and havent noticed a huge difference yet. Maybe a tiny one, but not enough to justify the very high price.

#3 Venusblue

Venusblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:20 AM

I am taking it and havent noticed a huge difference yet. Maybe a tiny one, but not enough to justify the very high price.

#4 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:25 AM

I'm starting it this week and will report back. I've had SIBO-C for over 5 years now. For the past few I've been using Trulance and then Linzess to stimulate bowel movements.. mixed results.. sometimes works really well and sometimes doesn't. On "good days," I have diarrhea for an hour or so and then feel emptied out. On bad days, I feel the build up of fluids inside of me but can't get it out which causes even worse bloating and distension. I read Atrantil helped some people get "regular" again but it was recommended taking a higher dose than the standard maintenance dose.

#5 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:26 AM

I'm starting it this week and will report back. I've had SIBO-C for over 5 years now. For the past few I've been using Trulance and then Linzess to stimulate bowel movements.. mixed results.. sometimes works really well and sometimes doesn't. On "good days," I have diarrhea for an hour or so and then feel emptied out. On bad days, I feel the build up of fluids inside of me but can't get it out which causes even worse bloating and distension. I read Atrantil helped some people get "regular" again but it was recommended taking a higher dose than the standard maintenance dose.

I've only been on it a few days but so far there is definitely a reduction in bloating. I typically bloat after just about every meal and remain bloated until I have a bowel movement. The bloating has actually been going away within an hour of eating now. I'm pretty sure I'm having die off symptoms (unpleasant feeling in bowels, more tired than usual and SIBO usually leaves me pretty tired as it is, skin breaking out, runny nose), but they say this is normal especially if there's a significant bacterial overgrowth. I had a similar reaction at first on prescription antibiotics. They say major improvement is usually noticed in about 80% of people taking it between 2 weeks and a month, so I'll share another update at that point.

#6 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:29 PM

Taking Atrantil for 2 weeks now, and I'm bloating significantly less than before. I'm taking it the recommended 2 pills 3x per day (with each meal) and hoping to get it down to the 2x per day maintenance dose after a month. The first week was rough.. it was like all my SIBO symptoms were in overdrive but then week 2 was much better. The reduction in symptoms has been significant.. this is the most significant reduction in symptoms I've seen in the 5 years of having SIBO other than my first round of Xifaxan (and this is comparable). I'm still taking Linzess for the constipation but even the Linzess is working more consistently now and I can tell the methane levels are probably much lower because the awful smell of my usual bowel movements has gone away. Between the two medications, I'm starting to feel the most "normal" I've felt in terms of my symptoms in years.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bloating, medication, IBS-C

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here