Linzess experiences-I want to hear yours - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Linzess experiences-I want to hear yours

Linzess

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wigglesmom

wigglesmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:22 AM

Advertisement

I started taking Linzess 290 8 days ago (upon waking, empty stomach). I haven't noticed much of a change at all and am taking it with my normal regimen (magnesium, Miralax, Dr. Schultz Formula 1, stool softeners at night). 

Just wondering if it takes a while to work or if others might've no real change when taking it. I'd rather not be on prescription medication if it isn't improving my condition. 

Thanks!

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12225 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:48 AM

linzess really should kick in right away although some people have said that their docs told them to give it a couple weeks..... 

for me, it worked right away but then started to wane and by the end of the week it pretty much quit on me.

one thing i learned:  the important thing about linzess is the timing--how soon you eat breakfast after taking it.  

my gastro doc has done research and has run clinical trials on linzess.  he told me that linzess works on the same receptors that food does.  so generally, the closer you take it to eating a meal, the  sooner it works and the more diarrhea you get.  and conversely, the more time that elapses between taking linzess and eating, the less D you get. 

so if you're taking it as prescribed--a half hour before eating--and it's not working, try taking it 20 minutes before eating. of that doesn't work, try 15 minutes, 10 minutes, etc.   it's all in experimenting and finding out what timing  works best for you.

it's also important to drink a lot of water whn taking linzess and throughout the day.

also--and this is very important. linzess is a very unstable drug.  it's very  susceptible to heat and moisture. don't store it in the bathroom. and  make sure the pharmacy gives linzess to you in the original bottle with the little desiccant thingies inside--there are several of them in there.  it says this on the front of the bottle in an "attention pharmacist" note.  don't accept it if the pharmacy has decanted it into one of their bottles.  this is  because of it's instability--it has to be left in the original bottle.    back when i was taking it,  cvs once tried to give it to me in one of their bottles but i pointed out these instructions and insisted they give it to me in the original bottle..

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 TMM388

TMM388

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:49 PM

I have found that Linzess seems to work more when I have more contents in my colon, meaning that if you're pretty cleaned out from other stuff you're taking or from the prior day, you won't get as much of a response.  Also what the previous user said is true about it being unstable.  A rainy day when the house is damp will ruin an open bottle depending on where you store it.  I'd keep the bottle in the fridge or in a closet where it's protected from moisture.  One time I took some pills with me and put them into a glass bottle and they ended up being duds because I didn't have those little freshness things that come in the bottle. Keep it in the original bottle, a lesson I learned :)

• flossy likes this

#4 wigglesmom

wigglesmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:22 AM

Fascinating about storage. I have samples from my doctor, and I have them stored in my bathroom. It's been hot and rainy here the past couple weeks, AND I live on a river, so I do wonder if they're even effective. One side effect I'm having is that when I take it, my urge to urinated is so strong, and one day my kidneys were really hurting. I have a call in to my doctor as I don't think it's currently working (for whatever reason). 

Thanks!

#5 dac122

dac122

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:40 AM

I would repeat everything here but did not know about the strict storage requirements.  I called Allergan and they confirmed the bottle, cap and the desiccant packet were specifically designed for it. 

#6 Jasesun23

Jasesun23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:43 AM

When my Linzess stopped working about 3 weeks ago I thought maybe my humid hot bedroom affected it. However a brand new bottle stored in a  75 degree room did nothing. Unfortunately it might not work for you. I've been on Trulance for about a week now and nothing. From reading forums here I got the idea that this was going to give me crazy D. So I was disappointed that it did nothing. Part of me wants to think the sample packs that I were given were stored incorrectly but I don't think this have that sensitivity that Linzess does. 

#7 dac122

dac122

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:48 AM

My pharmacy did repackage and it did seem to be less effective.  Maybe that's the storage issue or maybe my body getting used to it.  Regardless I plan to tell them to not repackage in the future.

#8 wigglesmom

wigglesmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:22 AM

I stopped taking it two days ago. The urgency to urinate and dull kidney pain were making me nervous. Plus, it didn't seem to be working at all. I tried it before as well, and it did nothing then. With all of the stories that it causes intense diarrhea, I thought it would at least do something, but sadly it didn't. 

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here