Abdominal Electrical Stimulation...anyone tried it? - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Abdominal Electrical Stimulation...anyone tried it?

IBS IBS-C Research Abdominal Stimulation Constipation Chronic Constipation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 weaverkx

weaverkx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:16 AM

Advertisement

Hi All, 

I'm a research Dr in IBS and also suffer with mild IBS-mixed D&C as well. I'm curious to know if anyone has heard of abdominal functional electrical stimulation therapy or transcutaneous electrical stimulation? 

If you have, have you tried it? 

If you haven't, is it something you would be interested in learning more about? 

It's had great effect in MS patient's, spinal cord injury patients and Parkinson's in relieving chronic constipation. 

• Kathleen435 likes this

#2 stefan00790

stefan00790

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:50 PM

Hi weaverkx iam also researcher and yes i have tried electrical stimulation with some of the doctors they say its better to implant a device on the colon that you'll control at your on will when to stimulate the colon it is pretty simple and effective , i think this will change all of the treatments for CIC and chornic constipation but as for i see that will be very expensive normally it will be the most effective treatment for IBS - C also but I know friends known with AI - Artificial intelligence to create a pill that electrically  target and will stimulate nerve ending in the colon we talked also it will a good idea to develop for gastroparesis too and in the near future maybe it will be avaliable . But for know i tried one which was not that strong of a stimulation that did succed in pushing the stool so we don't know .

#3 mossflower

mossflower

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:05 AM

Hi All, 

I'm a research Dr in IBS and also suffer with mild IBS-mixed D&C as well. I'm curious to know if anyone has heard of abdominal functional electrical stimulation therapy or transcutaneous electrical stimulation? 

If you have, have you tried it? 

If you haven't, is it something you would be interested in learning more about? 

It's had great effect in MS patient's, spinal cord injury patients and Parkinson's in relieving chronic constipation. 

'

Hi: i had never heard of abd functional electrical stimulation therapy for constipation so i googled it: it is used mostly for MS patients but after reading about it, it seems like it could be used on any patient that has severe intractable constipation- it is non invasive, as electrodes are used on the outside of the belly.  I have a completely dysfunctional

colon: in other words, without laxatives I cannot poop. period.  I take a very large dose of magnesium on a daily basis and though it works, it causes other problems that are causing me quality of life issues.  Anyway, thanks for bringing this to the forum. I think it is something to consider for people who have intractable constipation to see if works.

especially since it is non invasive.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS, IBS-C, Research, Abdominal Stimulation, Constipation, Chronic Constipation

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here