2.5 year old with IBS? - Parent's discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

2.5 year old with IBS?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bushalex15

bushalex15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:40 PM

Advertisement
Hey everyone! Im new to this group and not really sure if my son has ibs even though his gi doc thinks he does. So if its okay Im gonna tell a little of his story and ask for some suggestions. I apologize in advance for the long post.

My son is 2.5 and has had gi issues since birth (predominantly chronic diarrhea). At a year old he was diagnosed with idiopathic exocrine pancreatic insufficiency and was started on pancreatic enzymes every time he eats. Things went well for about 8 months (as long as he avoided all dairy) until the chronic diarrhea, cramping and bloating started again. It took 6 month of trying many different antibiotics, testing, and diet changes to figure out he had developed a nut intolerance. Eliminated all nut products from his diet and he was doing great for 2 month. The chronic diarrhea returned and it took a month to figure out it he has now developed a coconut intolerance.

At this point he has intolerances to dairy, nuts, and coconut. He also aspirates when he drinks, has breath holding spells, had asthma throughout last winter, and has worsening of his symptoms almost every time he receives a vaccine. He was failure to thrive his first year of life, but since starting the pancreatic enzymes he caught up to his peers. His growth has been stagnant the past few months.

If anyone has any suggestions or can relate to any of it Id love to talk more! Thank you in advance!

#2 elenacs

elenacs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:12 PM

This sounds rather complex.....more complex than your standard IBS.   I'm assuming he's seen by a Pediatric GI?   Have you asked about SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)?   RE: the aspiration....Many Children Hospitals have Aero-Digestive Centers. Perhaps that would be a great place to start to be sure if the aspiration and asthma is caused by GERD or another type of reflux (bile). 

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here