IBS, IBD or something else? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS, IBD or something else?

ibibs help doctor doctors treatment black stools blood blood in stool red blood in stool

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hard

Hard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 02 September 2018 - 08:31 AM

Advertisement

Hello guys, sorry to make another thread like this but I'm desperate and I really need someone with some experience to talk to as nobody has helped. I'll try to make this as fast as possible.

I'm 19 years old, one year ago I went to the bathroom as usual and ended up pooping out massive amounts of coal black tar. It smelled like tar and didn't resemble feces at all. A few minutes after I started to feel dizzy and got the most intense pain I've ever felt just above my belly button. My mother came home and drove me to a clinic which took some blood tests where they found out I had indeed lost blood.

I've been at the hospital 3 times, gotten an endoscopy twice, both down my throat and up my intestines. I've taken blood stool samples twice but that was months after I started bleeding for the first time. They've done literally a ######-ton of work trying to diagnose me and in the end they just gave me the diagnose of IBS. I've personally spendt probably near a thousand euros in total in doctors bills and medication which has gotten me nothing. All the doctors I met at the hospital and my primary doctor has just dismissed me. I feel like they've given up on me and when I tell them I have bloody stools they don't care and say it's probably a hemmoroid. Now I've never had that in my life, why would I get 5 hemmoroids in less than a year and IBS at the exact same time?

I've had positively bled black tar once and red blood 4 times. Everything tells me it has to be IBD as everything tells me blood is NOT a symptom of IBS.

I feel like my local healthcare has given up on me. Please, if anyone of you have some insight, any at all please reply. And don't tell me to go to the doctor, I've done that probably close to 100 times lol.

#2 beatingIBS

beatingIBS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:05 PM

Hi

All of this could be a sign of an IBD or sometjing else. If you've done all of the above exams and it's come out clean, then I think you need to do 2 things:

-First get calprotectin marker test done. If positive then you'll have an IBD for sure;

-Second talk to your doctor about performing a capsule enteroscopy to see all the small intestine;. This will allow to see your intestine and see in fact what's happening inside of you. If something is there(for example some ulcer; some kind of hidden blood source, etc...)then you can be treated most of the time with DBE or some other procedure;

Hope this can help you move on the right direction

#3 Hard

Hard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for the answer, not sure if a capsule enteroscopy is something I'd get. I have recently gotten a stool test kit, though. The same that I used twice that came out clean (mind this was 1-2 months after). I just have to figure that the next time I bleed I'll test it and say gotcha to the doctors. But blood is blood, isn't it? Why would the doctor be so sure it was IBS and not something else? Or can they see what kind of blood/where it comes from when they examine the sample?

#4 beatingIBS

beatingIBS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:14 AM

Blood in stool is almost never a sign of IBS. It's much more clearly a sign of IBD and/or other malignancy. If your doctor says is IBS just change doctors and go to another one. Ask for occult fecal blood in stool test and do the calprotectin exam. If one of these tests turns out positive, if at this moment you're not already being seen by a GI expert, go and see one. If you have an IBD like disease you need to be treated. If not you may have many more problems down the road....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibibs, help, doctor, doctors, treatment, black stools, blood, blood in stool, red blood in stool

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here