IBS-D for 20+ Years, Now I Do Not Have Problems - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS-D for 20+ Years, Now I Do Not Have Problems

IBS-D lactose gluten oil IBS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KailuaBeach

KailuaBeach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:03 PM

Advertisement

After suffering from IBS-D for 20+ years, I finally have it completely under control. I never have to rush to the bathroom anymore and am very regular in the morning and then I am good for the day.

I tried numerous pills and powders, and none of them gave me a complete cure.

The key was getting rid of the trigger foods. In my case I eliminated lactose, gluten, and oil. Lactose and gluten are obvious ones, but it took me a while to figure out that oils, even healthy ones like olive oil, can be a problem.

Also, I found out it is not just cooking with oil that is a problem, things with oil in them such as chips, sauces, etc. are also a problem.

Once those things were out of my diet I was feeling fine.

Now I eat any kind of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds.

I like bananas and rice, especially when I am very hungry as I know I am at my most sensitive when I am hungry.

I also learned you must be very careful how things are packaged.

For example, I eat sardines every day and am 100% fine with them, but I only eat Ligo Brand Sardines in Tomato Sauce. When I tried another brand of sardines and water and was very hungry I got sick. The oil from the sardines mixed with the water, and the oil went through my system fast. Now I am careful to eat the sardines with rice, so the oil does not go right through me, and if I am starving I start with a banana and some rice and cheese.

With fruit, especially ones that are high in fructose, you have to eat them in moderation. As long as I do not over indulge I am fine eating a lot of different delicious fruits every day.

If you have any questions please let me know. I know this works as I recommended it to someone else and they also found relief.

#2 jeffinnh

jeffinnh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:33 AM

Interesting to hear that. 

I do just fine with most oils and gluten, but know people who don't. Thus furthering the commonly held notion that parts of IBS are certainly individualized.

#3 KailuaBeach

KailuaBeach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:42 AM

Great point, and glad to know you found out your trigger foods and are now feeling great too.

#4 KailuaBeach

KailuaBeach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:13 PM

For those who are still suffering from IBS-D I want to mention if you think you are OK with something but still suffering it is possible you are not OK with it.

Some things are very tricky to figure out because it has to do with the quantity and how hungry you are and when your reaction occurs. 

For example, you could have a dinner cooked with olive oil and feel fine that evening. So now you make an assumption that I am OK with olive oil.

Then another night you could get sick. Perhaps because you stomach was more empty, or you had a little bit more oil, it caused a reaction. Even worse is you have no reaction right away but then eat something later on and get sick.

So now there is confusion. You thought you were OK with olive oil, so it can't be that, but you thought you were OK with this other food too.

This is why I think it is best to eliminate the oils if you are still having any problems. You have to get to the point where you have no problems. Only then can you start testing to see what your limits are with oils and other foods.

It unfortunately took me way to many years to eliminate everything I needed to in order to feel better.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-D, lactose, gluten, oil, IBS

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here