CIC diagnosis, sitz marker test results, and prescription medications - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

CIC diagnosis, sitz marker test results, and prescription medications

CIC IBS-C

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 streible

streible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:36 AM

Advertisement

Good morning everyone,

I wanted to post and share my experiences with everyone to gain better insight into this terrible condition.  I've suffered with slow transit for years and as I've gotten older, it's gotten worse.  In August, I've had a couple of things going on.  I had a "scoping" from the mouth down the duodenum and I have a small hiatal hernia and two ulcers, but more importantly, the sitz marker test was quite revealing. 

On August 10th, I ingested a sitz marker capsule with 24 O-rings in it and by August 30th, I still had 7 left inside me.  When the initial x-rays were done, the markers were gathered in the ascending colon, exiting perhaps 2 O-rings every x-ray session.  That tell me that my transit is really slow.

Presently, I take 4 doses of milk of magnesia, some magnesium citrate on top of that which usually equates to about 4 fluid ounces, 6 docusate sodium tablets, and endless generic Miralax.  I was given samples of Linzess in 290 mcg and 145 mcg dosages.  I found both of them to cause brain fog, being on the verge of collapse, and having some personality alterations.  My anxiety goes away when I'm on it but how I feel otherwise makes me not want to take it.  My energy level is completely sapped from it.  I'm now trying a 2 week sample dosing of Amitiza which seems to do a much better job and I take it twice a day, 8 mcg in the morning and one in the afternoon.  I just started yesterday and I'm already seeing weight gain from this stuff, but I don't know if that's in part from fluid, the amount of fat and sugar I had yesterday because I was feeling so awful from my initial dosing of Amitiza and then went into a panic attack which caused me to lose most of yesterday from a productive time and enjoyable day. On Amitiza, I also find I have no appetite this morning.

I would really welcome the opportunity for others to share their recent experiences with me.  I'm scared and concerned by the fact that now I'm here at this point in life and I don't want to lose my bowel functionality and I'm doing best to taper off of the magnesium citrate because long-term, it does more harm than good.

Thank you everyone for you experiences and kind guidance,

Steve

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9219 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

have you tried trulance (plecanatide).  perhaps that med won't  give you the side effects that linzess and amitiza did. 

did you try lactulose?

you asked for peoples' experiences; this was mine:

i didn't pass any of the markers during my sitz marker test..based on that, my gastro doc dx'd me with colonic inertia. 

https://www.sitzmark...ow-to-interpret

because none of the constipation meds available at the time worked for me, my gastro doc told me to take laxatives daily. i took both stimulant and osmotic laxatives.  my gastro docs told me that this was safe to do.  all the laxatives that had been considered unsafe to take were removed from tha market years ago. i remember when this happened.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15654804

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/8234421

you might want to try taking dr schultz intestinal formula #1. a lot of people on here have had good success with it.

good luck.  hope you can find some relief.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 streible

streible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:58 AM

Hi Annie,

Thanks so much for your reply. I too was diagnosed with colonic inertia which I failed to mention. I will actually give Dr. Schultz intestinal formula #1 a try. I'm not real keen on prescription meds, but I also don't want to land up with surgery either and that is my greatest fear.

Thanks so much for your time,

Steve
  • flossy likes this

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9219 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:24 AM

oh yes--do give intestinal formula #1 a try . a lot of people on here really like it.

courtesy of Flossy (thanks, Flossy) :

https://www.ibsgroup...-can-recommend/

you also might want to take a look at this topic:

https://www.ibsgroup...st-of-remedies/

• flossy likes this

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 Hybo

Hybo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:31 AM

Steve from what I have read many people seem to be happier when they do end up having surgery. because they are not doing the regimen of laxatives and drugs. So I wouldnt fear that.

#6 streible

streible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:38 PM

Hi Hybo,

I think what I don't want is a complete removal of my intestinal system. That's what I fear the most in the years to come.

Steve

#7 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9219 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:53 PM

i finally had my colon removed and believe me, it was a relief.  i asked for it.  no more struggling with a colon (and a rectum) that had forgotten how to work years ago. i have a much better quality of life now. 

it wasn't a complete removal of my intestinal system. i still have my small intestines. just not my colon. 

but that's just my experience.  i can understand why you  feel the way you do. 

good luck with everything.

#8 streible

streible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:21 PM

Is your small intestine attached to your backside then? I would imagine you have no port and bag that way.

#9 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9219 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:29 PM

no, my small intestine is not attached to my rectum.  i desperately wanted that type of surgery (colectomy) but as my gastro docs and  colorectal surgeon explained to me, because i  also have  pelvic floor dysfunction, i would not be a good candidate for a colectomy because, due to the pfd, i still would not be able to get stool out.

i have an  ileostomy (bag). 

#10 streible

streible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:29 AM

Well, this is day number three with Amitiza and now I'm starting to feel sick from this stuff.  My limbs feel like they weigh five to ten pounds more and every step I take is an effort.  I'm starting to feel nauseated and nothing is appealing this morning, not even coffee.  Energy levels are low too.  Anyone else ever feel this way who has tried Amitiza?

Thanks for everyone's time and sharing their experiences,

Steve

#11 Hybo

Hybo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:20 AM

Steve there is a section on here that talks about those meds. I would search the boards there is a lot of information on those drugs (I would assume a lot of lives are saved because of those drugs)

#12 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9219 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:47 AM

Steve--

sorry you're having problems with amitiza side effects.

i tried both dose strengths of amitiza but it didn't work for me.  the side effects i had were swelling of my feet, ankles  and calves. not fun (plus it didn't work)  so i quit taking it. 

#13 Hybo

Hybo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:16 PM

man these meds seem like that cause as much issues as they solve. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CIC, IBS-C

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here