iodoquinol or diiodohydroxyquinoline - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

iodoquinol or diiodohydroxyquinoline

ibs-d antibiotics

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mellosphere

mellosphere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:55 AM

Advertisement

I know I have probably bored most of you to death with my obsession with antibiotics, but I swear they are the only medication that has any real effect on my ibs.

Many of you have probably ran across the site badbugs.org where the author goes into detail about their issues with D. fragilis. 

Has anyone here ever taken iodoquinol? Would be curious if this medication has been used and if there were good or bad results. Thanks in advance

#2 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 01:57 PM

I too have experienced some relief from antibiotics. One thing I've noticed about my condition is that I produce a crazy amount of stool. It's easily 3-5x the amount that I eat. One time I took Cipro and Flagyl in combination and experienced considerable relief from my condition, partially because the amount of stool I had decreased substantially! 

Just an anecdotal story, and a bump to this thread :)

• mellosphere likes this

"I could be wrong about everything." -Me

#3 celestin

celestin

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:54 AM

We have in France a medicine with Tilbroquinol and Tiliquinol (brand: Intetrix). Same chemical family. These molecules are good antiseptic derivates. So if you think that you have too many bacteria, it could help! Warning: the side-effect of optic neuritis. I think that it is a "well-known" side-effect that you will find in all books, but not frequent at all.
If you are looking for another antiseptic you should try Nifuroxazide. I think that it's a little bit less effective than Tilbroquinol/Tiliquinol but (nearly) no side effects. Some IBS/D sufferers take one or two every day and are very happy with it.
The advantage of these molecules is that they are -barely- resorbed by the gut. As always, to avoid side effects, do not take these medicines non-stop.

• mellosphere likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs-d, antibiotics

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here