IBS-D and University Help - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS-D and University Help

Help Univeristy New

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AutumnStag

AutumnStag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:01 PM

Advertisement

I'm 22 and I was diagnosed with IBS-D over the summer and started my Postgrad degree in September, does anyone have any general tips when it comes to dealing with IBS and university? 

I'm still trying to figure out what food and drink can trigger it, I'm lactose intolerant so I avoid dairy anyway. I have buscopan on prescription which has helped a bit, but I do keep getting a lot of flare-ups meaning I have started to miss some of my lectures. I get anxious as my course is archaeology meaning I have lots of field trips to the middle of nowhere with no access to a toilet. I've started taking immodium but I don't want to become too reliant on it, I also take peppermint oil.

Are there any general tips when it comes to managing this? Any help is honestly appreciated. 

#2 Joyce Counts

Joyce Counts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:44 PM

I've found that I have pretty much no flare ups if I avoid corn products and their derivatives, and recently started eating them again but avoid wheat, and I get similar results.   Go figure!.  My mother has recently determined that she feels that drinking Diet Pepsi, is the cause of her flare ups.   So I think for each person it can be different.  

#3 elenacs

elenacs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:57 PM

You live in the UK?  Find Saguna Silicol Gel or Enterosgel at the pharmacy.  My teen daughter takes this for IBS-D and it has given her her life back.  She takes one dose a day and is a natural supplement.  She was on so many medications that never helped. We have to buy it on Amazon. I believe Boots.com has tons of amazing reviews.  

#4 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:48 PM

I know everyone is different,  but I have never been able to affect my IBS with diet.   As soon as I start chewing something it's like my guts immediately react.   I have to rely on lomotil to slow my guts down.    If Imodium helps I wouldn't worry about becoming reliant on it.   My doctors says it is perfectly safe in recommended doses. 

#5 celestin

celestin

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:44 AM

>>>quote: "I'm lactose intolerant so I avoid dairy anyway."

Bad idea! Just take lactAse and eat high fermented (french..!) cheese and Kefir, a little bit, but regularly... You/we need good germs!

#6 dekkalife

dekkalife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:50 PM

Imodium is perfectly fine to take long term, as long as you don't experience constipation. Only a miniscule amount is absorbed through your gut. Personally, I'd be more concerned with taking calcium tablets long term.

#7 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:31 PM

You live in the UK?  Find Saguna Silicol Gel or Enterosgel at the pharmacy.  My teen daughter takes this for IBS-D and it has given her her life back.  She takes one dose a day and is a natural supplement.  She was on so many medications that never helped. We have to buy it on Amazon. I believe Boots.com has tons of amazing reviews.  

Can you explain more about Enterosgel? I'm in USA and we dont have it here. Never heard of it. Ive read what it apparently does..but does this work for chronic diarrhea?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Help, Univeristy, New

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here