Not Sure What I Have - Please Help! - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Not Sure What I Have - Please Help!

IBS-C Constipation Not sure what I have

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Buchnevich89

Buchnevich89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 02:07 PM

Advertisement
Hello. This is my first post. For context, I am now 22, and have been experiencing symptoms of IBS-D ever since I was 15 or 16. Then, I got addicted to opiates, which helped my IBS-D. For the past 2 years, I have been on suboxone treatment, and I had some issues, but for the most part, I felt good. I pooped a lot once a day, usually in the morning. I have also been tapering down for the past 6-8 months. I started at 8 mg, and Im now down to less than 3.5 mg.

The problem is, I have a totally different problem now. Whereas normally I would poop more when I took less suboxone, I am now very constipated. Constipation occurred when I was taking higher dosages of suboxone, but that is normal. When I went down to 5-6 mg, though, I started to poop relatively normal. Now, Im at a lower dose, and way more constipated. This should not happen. I have abdominal cramps, headaches, bloating, feeling of incompleteness, acid reflux, lower back pain, and a few other symptoms. I tried enemas, stool softeners, and a better diet, but nothing seems to be really helping. I might try magnesium later today, though. Also, for more context, I had a pretty poor diet ever since I started taking suboxone, but Im working on it. I have been eating many more vegetables and eating less junk. Also, these constipation problems started around the time when I stopped running and exercising like I have been for the past 3 years (I ran 45-60 minutes a day), but even though I am exercising again, theres only minimal improvement.

Sorry for the long post, but I cant take this anymore. I have been like this for the past 7-8 days. Never would I have thought that I would miss having IBS-D. Being backed up is so disgusting and painful. I hate it. Thank you.

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11076 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 02:55 PM

so sorry you're having problems.  yes, being backed up and constipated is miserable.

it does seem odd that at the lower dose of suboxone that you're on now, your constipation has become worse.

yes, do try taking magnesium--it can help.   Magnesium relaxes the muscles in the intestines which helps to establish a smoother rhythm and magnesium also helps soften the stool by attracting water to the colon which helps to make stools easier to pass.  if that doesn't work,   you could maybe try an osmotic laxative like miralax or maybe a stimulant laxative if that doesn't help.  if it  keeps up,  talk to your gastroenterologist.   there are medications available that can help with C.

you might want to take a look at this thread:

https://www.ibsgroup...st-of-remedies/

good luck. hope you can find some relief.   take care.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 Buchnevich89

Buchnevich89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:50 AM

Thank you so much. I am also having random shoulder pain. It was my left shoulder for 3-4 days. Now its my right shoulder.

Magnesium seems to be the way to go, but what if it stops working? Can that happen? Because nothing seems to help me.

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11076 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:38 AM

if  for some reason the magnesium you're taking does stop working, you can try a larger dose or a different type of magnesium. there are several different kinds available--magnesium oxide, mag citrate, glycinate etc. and there are powdered forms available, too--natural calm, MagOx , Mag07 etc etc. a lot of people have success with those. 

and there's always milk of magnesia.  you can also try  miralax and/or stimulant laxatives.

there are lots of different thing to try that help with C. did you read that link "the great list of remedies".  lots of good ideas there.

also you can talk to your gastro doc.  there are C meds you can try--linzess, amitiza and trulance.  and two more will be available early next year--priocalopride and zelnorm. 

• Phata4 likes this

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 Phata4

Phata4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:33 AM

I take Vicodin I use Linzess and or Lactulose I think this was suggested in a prior post

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-C, Constipation, Not sure what I have

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here