To take or not take anti-depressents - Diarrhea Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

To take or not take anti-depressents

ibs-d anxiety depression mind fog

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nancy A

Nancy A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:41 AM

Advertisement

I have not been diagnoised exactly with ibs-d, but have all the symptoms.  I am scheduled for a colonsocopy later this month.  I got a prescription filled yesterday for 10 mg of generic Paxil for 1 week and then 2 tablets per day.  I am hesitatant to try this medication because I do not want to have to take it forever.  I would greatly appreciate your feedback good or bad on anti-depressents.  Thank you in advance.  I have been suffering with these symptoms for almost 4 months.  Loosing weight, trouble sleeping, stomach cramps, pain, diarrahea and small narrow stools.  The bloating is awful.  I hestitate to eat because of the results.  Mind fog too.  Please help!

#2 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:34 PM

Hi Nancy A, I'm from the IBS-C section of the board but saw your post and wanted to reply.

Yes, definitely try antidepressants. I was on and off them for awhile about 20 years ago when I got clean and sober and they helped greatly. 

Depression runs in my family tree, half of us are on antidepressants. I don't take them anymore, haven't for years and years and have found regular exercise helps me just as much. Plus with antidepressants? Side effects include possible constipation. Believe-you-me, I don't need anymore of that! lol! But maybe they'll help you twofold then?

Good luck and keep us posted.

#3 Nancy A

Nancy A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:59 PM

Thanks you Flossy for your reply.  Much appreciated.  My family also has a family tree of depression.  I agree that exercise helps me more mentally than physically.  Although I feel so bad from these symptoms, I do not have the energy to do so right now.  I feel my body needs a rest to heal.  Plus I have lost 5 lbs and only eating a fraction of what I was eating.  I do not want to loose any more weight.  I am using CBD oil for sleep, anxiety and depression.  I will call my Dr. Monday to ask should I stay on the CBD oil and forget the antidepressants?  I guess I should wait until I get my colonoscopy on the 19th and see what the Dr. says.  Thanks for your concern!

• flossy likes this

#4 EmDubPNW

EmDubPNW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

I've struggled with depression most of my adult life.  Now in my 70s, I can't take the SSRIs any more and their efficacy usually ebbed after a few months in the past.  I now break out in a rash on day three or four of taking them.  I discovered Niacin is becoming used more frequently.  Did a little research, including on Consumer Labs, and have been taking the non-flushing type (inositol hexanicotinate) for about six months now.  I started out at 500mg/day and gradually increased it to 1500mg/day.  I'm delighted with the results!  I still have "sinkers" from time-to-time but overall am no longer wrestling with daily depression.  

Do your own "homework" and find the best quality inositol hexanicotinate you can find.  I subscribe to Consumerlabs.com and it's worth every penny to find the best quality and reasonably priced supplements.  They are the only lab that I'm aware of that tests supplements for efficacy and if the label contains what is declared.

#5 legbuh

legbuh

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 12:38 PM

I've tried every AD out there.  The "normal" ones (lexapro, paxil, etc) made me feel like a zombie and did nothing for my IBS-D

Then my GI gave me an tricyclic AD.  We went from 5mg to 100mg over the course of a year.  Little to no difference.  At least coming off those was easy... Lexapro was a brain zapping trip.

I must not be depressed... although my IBS-D does make me very frustrated and angry/sad sometimes.   The only thing I've found that does anything to help is a couple drinks and THC.  But of course I don't want to be high all day either.  And getting THC in a state where it's not "legal" is never fun.

Scotch it is.  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs-d, anxiety, depression, mind fog

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here