Help with food choices- newly diagnosed ibs-c! - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Help with food choices- newly diagnosed ibs-c!

ibsc food choices bloating gas abdominal pain diet fiber help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ella Taylor

Ella Taylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 23 November 2018 - 12:03 PM

Advertisement

Hey all!

So im new to this site.. and to IBS sadly! ..

So i have been in recovery from anorexia for 7 years, and so have been through a lot of pain and bloat and gas.. I'm still working on getting my weight up as i am still at a low weight.

However, this last month the pain and bloat has been different and SO much worse. Like a sick feeling, back ache, way more gas etc- yet my weight hasn't gone up so i know its not just recovery stuff.

So my doctor has said its likely to be IBS.. but I'm really struggling with getting a grip on it all.

I think i have IBS-C, as although i do have bowel movement, my entire day i feel like i have not emptied properly.

I seem to react to ANYTHING i eat.. it gets super tight and achey, bubbly and bloated and gassy.. its also giving me back ache recently. It feels like theres a knot in my stomach constantly, and like something is stuck in me. 

Id just like to find out some advice on how and where to start. Ive been keeping a food diary, but as i said, it literally feels like anything i eat i react to, so its hard to find triggers- as well as having to already keep track of my food for my recovery- its a nightmare!!!

If i do have IBS-C, does anyone have any good recommendations of which foods i should maybe start looking at adding or eliminating?  Ive been trying lower fibre choices of breakfast- as i heard this can cause a lot of gas and bloat. but I'm getting mixed ideas as i also know fibre is needed if I'm struggling with toilet needs?

thanks so much if anyone can help.

Ella 

#2 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 01:57 PM

Hi Ella -

I can't tell you for certain what foods to eat and what foods to avoid but you should take something every day to help you go if it is difficult.

Read this when you have the time (click on below link to view):

http://www.ibsgroup....tion-aka-ibs-c/

Good luck & keep us posted!

#3 dac122

dac122

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:47 AM

From my personal experience I keep an eye on not eating too much of the following:

• Fiber.  As you know fiber is not digested and just passes through.  It can be hard to move through as it absorbs water.
  • Fatty foods.  Fat slows down digestion.  If you have delayed or slowed digestion already, slowing it further is not good.  
  • Dairy.  I don't have an issue here, but dairy can have a lot of fat, so I am careful for that reason.  
  • (Short Chain) Carbs.  There is research and concerns for something called FODMAPs.  Basically they are short chain carbs that are more likely to ferment in your gut, cause gas and bloating.  Look up FODMAPs and what kind of carbs to watch for.  There is a disciplined diet you can temporarily try to see if these are a problem.  Note, it is not a permanent diet but rather to help id problems.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibsc, food choices, bloating, gas, abdominal pain, diet, fiber, help

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here