How to fully evacuate after glycerin enema (not gross - high level) - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

How to fully evacuate after glycerin enema (not gross - high level)

strain straining pain hip hip pain evacuate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:04 AM

Advertisement

Heyup,

In a nutshell I've been unable to "go" unaided for about 10 years. In that time I've pretty much solely relied on glycerin enemas since they work, don't cause further GI pain (unlike literally all by-mouth meds and laxatives I've ever tried) and are cheap (since you can refill and reuse them).

However, after I've successfully BM'd via said afterward residual glycerin remains "in my butt" so to speak. It basically feels really uncomfortable and I'm sure a lot of you can empathise.

Anyway, the only way I can evacuate this residual glycerin is by straining. Sometimes really hard. And the problem with that is that straining always triggers my chronic left hip/groin pain. We're talking 6+ out of 10 pain a.k.a. in bed with a cold compress/heating pad pain.

BTW this pain is undiagnosed but is certainly caused by the increased abdominal pressure of straining, whatever the pain's DX. I'm seeing a doctor about it soon but the last time I saw a doctor, he thought he felt 2 hernias, opened me up (he was a surgeon) and found no hernias. When told this upon coming round afterward, when I was full of hope for a resolution to the pain, I cried for an hour in front of the entire recovery room staff.

So, tears aside, my question is: how can I get this residual glycerin out without straining? I've tried:

• solving the root cause which is the constipation via diet, meds, laxatives. None work. Trust me. I've had IBS-C for about 20 years and I've been very open to all approaches and have tried them all. Even hypnotherapy.
  • rotating my torso left and right (can't find the link with that suggestion)
  • drinking more/loads of water
  • eating a meal
  • seeing a GI doctor. I've seen about 6 so far, at reputable/famous NYC hospitals too. They say I have a "functional GI disorder" which is medical speak for "physically nothing is wrong, we're completely at a loss, we give up on the cause"
  • mindfulness
  • timed/regular toilet visits e.g. always sit on the throne at 8am and 8pm
  • saline/water enemas. These also leave me feeling partially evacuated unfortunately.

I haven't tried manual evacuation (yes, that is a bit "eww", sorry) but I don't want to damage the sensitive tissues in my butt. I already have... issues at the exit shall we say. Is there a manual for manual evacuation? (sorry, couldn't resist).

Any other suggestions? Hanging upside down? Hopping on one leg? Hot saline water with asparagus and shampoo enema?

Thanks for reading,

Pete

Meds: Provigil, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, others

Current: IBS-C, OCD, Refractory Depression for 20+ years

Fixed: Hydronephrosis, Bilateral compartment syndrome

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10269 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:15 AM

oh yes--straining is really bad for you.  and, like you said, painful.

have you tried using washing the glycerin out by using a fleets enema bottle--just empty out the fleets enema solution and replace it with plain water.   that might work.  you probably wouldn't even have to use the whole bottle of water--just enough to wash the glycerin out.. 

good luck!

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:16 AM

have you tried using washing the glycerin out by using a fleets enema bottle--just empty out the fleets enema solution and replace it with plain water.   that might work.

Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that... Anyway, I will give that a go, thanks @annie7.

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10269 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:30 AM

good luck!  hope it works! 

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:38 AM

Hi twonK -

If I were you I would just keep trying to find a supplement to take every day (like a stool softener/aloe pills/whatnot) to help me go and keep using enemas. There's gotta be something out there for you that doesn't cause further GI pain, no?

Edit:

Here is a list of stuff I've personally tried. From "The great list of remedies" post and directly @ this link: https://www.ibsgroup...emedies/page-7)

"The Great List of Remedies that I have personally tried"

I wanted to put all the stuff I've tried for my IBS-C that I can remember. 

Here we go:

Different kinds of magnesium - magnesium doesn't work for me but does for most. Recommended.

Stool softeners - work

Aloe gels - didn't work for my chronic constipation (CC) but definitely soothes the intestines. Recommend for that (I took two gels, twice a day).

Peppermint pills - didn't work for my CC but might have given me fresh breath (or at least fresh burps tongue.png ).

Probiotics - tried several different brands and types. I do not recommend probiotics for people with CC. Most of the time they will make the condition worse, but not always. 

Senna - works

Franklin Formulas - these were tried by bunch of us on this board. For both IBS-C & D. They barely did anything by themselves. I don't think they are available anymore.

Olive oil - tried drinking this a few times a day, every day. Didn't help.

Soluble and insoluble fiber - tried both kinds several times, they both make about 80% of us on this side of the board (CC) - including myself - even more constipated. If extra fiber clears up your CC? Congratulations, you are off the hook. If not? Fiber is a menace.

Apple cider vinegar - I heard if one takes about a shot glass worth of this - mixed with water, twice a day, it will help with one's CC. Well, it didn't work, but ACV has a LOT of other uses. Google if interested. P.S. I still do a couple of diluted shots a day of it. 

Colloidal silver - tried a tablespoon a day, didn't work for my CC. I still take it though, it's a good source of energy, etc.

Erythromycin - You need a prescription for this. It did help with my CC. Somewhat recommended.

Water, and lots of it. Didn't do a thing except make me have to urinate more. And speaking of urine...

Urine therapy - Drinking my own urine for about a week didn't help with my CC. Yes, I will try anything. And speaking of anything...

Fecal transplants (aka FMT's) - I tried two of these myself, both rectally and with pills. Neither helped at all, but I did them incorrectly. However FMT's do show some promise of a real cure, especially for those with IBS-D... but I don't have that. The IBS-C FMT cure rate (30%) is not nearly as high as the IBS-D cure rate (80%), but I'm thinking that both these figures may be inflated?

Miralax - I took this on and off for months at a time. It's definitely better than nothing, I'd rate it about a C+ as far as its effectiveness. Very popular/somewhat recommended.

Prune juice - Just a small cup of this will give me diarrhea. It works for most people who suffer from CC, but not everyone. Recommended.

Chicken soup, garlic & onion style - I have a bowl of my chicken soup pretty much every day, it definitely helps with my BM's. Recommended. The ingredients and directions are here, if interested: http://www.ibsgroup....the-tummy-area/

Alcohol - Several people have posted after a night of a few drinks? No CC the following morning. Even though I've been clean & sober over 21 years now? Hell yes I'd drink a beer or two a night to get rid of this. So I had one beer. Result? More constipation the next day (sighs). Definitely worth a try though.

Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula # 1 - I've been on this for almost 3 years now, it's my fav. All natural, herbal, made by a real doctor. And I can and do eat anything I want on it. Recommended.

Enemas - Definitely worth trying, recommended. They make me have to urinate like crazy afterwards so I really don't like giving myself them, but they definitely help.

Vegetarianism - I've read quite a few success stories here with going vegetarian. It's definitely worth a try.

Prayer - I had to add this to the list. I don't know anyone who has been cured of CC through prayer, including myself. I feel weird saying this as I am a Born Again Christian, but it is the truth. And yes, I still pray all the time to be cured and it's still a no go - at least so far. Still? Worth trying.

Fasting - I did my first 7 day fast a couple of weeks ago. Just water. It didn't cure me of my IBS-C but it was a great experience and I still have health benefits from doing it. I will do another one sometime in the future when I have the time. Definitely recommended. If interested: 'The Fasting Cure' by Upton Sinclair. This book is 107 years old. Free to read on PDF right here: http://apache2.pum.e...sting/upton.pdf

I think both FMT's and fasting have the best chances of us actually being cured. Intestinal Formula # 1 is best at treating the condition successfully. My two cents.

#6 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:15 PM

Hi twonK -

If I were you I would just keep trying to find a supplement to take every day (like a stool softener/aloe pills/whatnot) to help me go and keep using enemas. There's gotta be something out there for you that doesn't cause further GI pain, no?

Edit:

Here is a list of stuff I've personally tried. From "The great list of remedies" post and directly @ this link: https://www.ibsgroup...emedies/page-7)

"The Great List of Remedies that I have personally tried"

Wow, many many thanks Flossy. I've actually tried all of those suggestions barring the Erythromycin, Colloidal silver, FMT's and Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula # 1.

• The Colloidal silver sounds... dodgy a bit: https://www.webmd.co...olloidal-silver so not sure about that.
  • w.r.t. Erythromycin, anything that stimulates or activates peristalsis or my gut in any way causes me absolute agony - and I'm not being melodramatic here. I'll be in bed for 3+ days if I take Senna for example. Is it activating? It sounds it :/
  • I'm more than willing to do a FMT but have lost track of the latest updates on the optimal process and/or if it's available professionally and if then, if insurance would cover it.
  • Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula # 1 - contains Senna so unfortunately that's out.

Thank you so much for all the ideas though, it sounds like you've unfortunately trodden a similar path to me w.r.t. CC. Not being able to use anything "stimulating" really limits my options and is why I've stuck with enemas for so long :/

Pete

• flossy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: strain, straining, pain, hip, hip pain, evacuate

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here