Motegrity (Prucalopride) is finally available! - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Motegrity (Prucalopride) is finally available!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11525 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:39 PM

Advertisement

thanks so much to WGButler for posting this happy news:

https://www.ibsgroup...-updates/page-4

• dac122 likes this

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#2 comptalk

comptalk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:36 PM

I called my doc for an RX on Motegrity today, he refused to give me a new unknown drug w/o trying Trulance and having a colonoscopy 1st. You'd think I'd be asking for a script of Morphine from him. I cannot believe I have to doctor shop for a script just to go the bathroom. Unreal. I am going to see if my GP will give it to me. Not sure. My gastro doc didn't even know about Motegrity. 

#3 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11525 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:34 AM

omg--that's terrible!   

can't believe he's making you have a colonscopy first!  that really sounds like overkill.

him wanting you to try trulance first could be because of insurance reasons.  insurance companies often make people do "step therapy", where they make you try all the other less expensive, older meds first before allowing you to try a newer, more costly med.  they make you jump through hoops.  i've had to do this several times.  i hate it.  so frustrating and such a waste of time. 

and really--motegrity may be a new drug to your doc but it's been availaable in europe and other countries for years.  so it's really not  "new".  only to your doc.

yes, do try your GP.  hopefully he/she will rx it for you.   back in the day  when zelnorm first came out, my GP  rx'd it for me.

good luck!

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#4 wgbutler

wgbutler

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:25 PM

Amazing. So Im not the only one then. Ive got my fingers crossed and Im hoping that my GI will write me a prescription next month. The PA at my GPs office already said no.

My GI doesnt like to write prescriptions for new drugs. Last year he wouldnt write me a prescription for Trulance. Now that is all he wants me to take. Funny how that works.

#5 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2142 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:21 PM

Amazing. So Im not the only one then. Ive got my fingers crossed and Im hoping that my GI will write me a prescription next month. The PA at my GPs office already said no.

My GI doesnt like to write prescriptions for new drugs. Last year he wouldnt write me a prescription for Trulance. Now that is all he wants me to take. Funny how that works.

It's all big business. Oftentimes whatever pharma company gives doctors the most perks they will write a prescription for that said product.

#6 comptalk

comptalk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:57 AM

omg--that's terrible!   

can't believe he's making you have a colonscopy first!  that really sounds like overkill.

him wanting you to try trulance first could be because of insurance reasons.  insurance companies often make people do "step therapy", where they make you try all the other less expensive, older meds first before allowing you to try a newer, more costly med.  they make you jump through hoops.  i've had to do this several times.  i hate it.  so frustrating and such a waste of time. 

and really--motegrity may be a new drug to your doc but it's been availaable in europe and other countries for years.  so it's really not  "new".  only to your doc.

yes, do try your GP.  hopefully he/she will rx it for you.   back in the day  when zelnorm first came out, my GP  rx'd it for me.

good luck!

I've tried the linzess and Amitiza and it was horrible. It's one thing to be stuck in your house. It's much worse when you're stuck in your bathroom. I refused the colonoscopy. I live by myself, so I have no one to take me nor pick me up and they told me I'd have to wait four hours before I could leave in an Uber. Forget that. He just wants the $$$ from the colonoscopy. He's been after me for years... since I was 19. I've been going to him for 23 years. He used to be so good. I was there a few months ago and I had stomach pains and kidney stones. I asked for a 3 day script for Flomax, he refused. He said see a urologist. My Urologist died in March of last year, and he knew him well. 

I just hope I don't have to doctor shop. This is absolutely crazy. I understand this for opiates, but for idiopathic constipation? Come on!

#7 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11525 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:54 AM

yes, that's really too bad about your gastro doc. sounds like it's time to find a new one.

and oh yes, you're right about the doctor shopping!  it's understandable to have to do that for opiates but to have to do it for C meds?????  ridiculous!

#8 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11525 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:01 AM

My GI doesnt like to write prescriptions for new drugs. 

i still think that's terrible!   what's wrong with this guy?  he's supposed to help people.  since  what you're currently taking isn't really helping you, he should by all means write you a script for something else that might.  that's what doctors are for. 

sounds like it's time for a new doctor.

#9 wgbutler

wgbutler

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

i still think that's terrible!   what's wrong with this guy?  he's supposed to help people.  since  what you're currently taking isn't really helping you, he should by all means write you a script for something else that might.  that's what doctors are for. 

sounds like it's time for a new doctor.

Maybe.  Changing GIs is kind of a big deal and you never know who you are going to get next.  The first GI I had was a complete disaster.  This GI I have now is by no means the best kind of doctor that I'd like to have but I could do a whole lot worse.

Ideally I'd like to have a doctor who is willing to try all sorts of things and doesn't play conservative.  I'd also like to have a doctor who keeps up with all the latest research.  I don't like being the guy to have to tell the doctor about a new drug.  I want to go to the doctor and have HIM tell me about the new drug.  See what I mean?  I feel like I'm having to do all of the work but my GI is a young guy and he's shown a tendency in the past to eventually come around and let me try things.

We'll see how it goes next month when I ask for a prescription for the motegrity.  If he says no then I may go ahead and take a chance with a new doctor.  I'm not sure.

#10 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11525 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:30 AM

yes, i know what you mean--you never know who you're going to get.

i was really lucky.  i had two terrific gastro docs.   they kept up with all the latest research-- in fact, the one doc (he works for the university of michigan hospital)  ran clinical trials on C drugs and was really big on research.  he was good at thinking out of the box.  i was lucky to have him.  and both docs  let me try anything i wanted  (like misoprostol).  

well, at least your doc has a tendency to eventually come around and let you try new things.  fingers crossed he'll write you a script for motegrity. 

#11 Displaced

Displaced

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:54 PM

I saw the PA at my GI's office a couple of weeks ago, hoping to discuss the new medications. I've tried Amitiza and more recently Linzess, which I loathed but stuck with until it stopped working. I've been trying to get by with Miralax, with mixed results, and was wiling to at least consider a prescription product again. But she had never heard of either one of them, which I find rather scary. I know healthcare professionals have a lot of demands on their time, and I don't expect those in clinical practice to devote a lot of time to reading medical journals, but to be unaware of two new treatment options for a common GI disorder? At any rate, I'm sure that means that neither is available on my insurance plan for now, so I guess I'm stuck. Miralax "works," but not really well, and lately I've been having more bad days than good days and was really hoping there might be something different to try. Guess I'll ask about the drugs again later.

#12 APR

APR

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:49 PM

In defense of the doctor, I think it is generally a good idea to avoid new to the market prescription medications.  Ideally, a medication has been prescribed long enough that whatever adverse effects are already well known.

If there's a medication that's been out for a while that's used to treat the same condition, it's probably a good idea to try that first....

But with all that being said, there are situations where doctors should be willing to prescribe a newly approved medication without jumping through hoops.  This is especially true in this case, where another commenter pointed out that Motegrity has been available in other countries [so whatever adverse effects that occur should have already been reported by patients in those countries].  I would hope that doctors would be sensitive to what we are going through and amenable to trying something else.

Also ridiculous what insurance companies do to avoid paying for newer [and more expensive] medications.

#13 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:00 AM

I'm expecting it to be awhile before it's widely available. My insurance company doesn't currently cover it. Not sure what it costs without insurance, but these meds for IBS can be very expensive.. when I was taking Trulance, I believe the cost if I didn't have insurance was around $1800/mo.

#14 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:47 AM

I'm expecting it to be awhile before it's widely available. My insurance company doesn't currently cover it. Not sure what it costs without insurance, but these meds for IBS can be very expensive.. when I was taking Trulance, I believe the cost if I didn't have insurance was around $1800/mo.

My insurance is covering it now. It's more expensive than Linzess but still affordable.

Does anyone have any experience using both drugs and could share their experience on which they prefer and why?

#15 aries_wmn

aries_wmn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:45 PM

My GP agreed to prescribe this for me. It required a prior authorization, but that went through. I was shocked to find my copay will be $15less than my copay for Linzess. Im starting it Monday, I was out of town when the prior authorization went through. I hope it helps, Ive been in a lot of pain daily.
  • jza likes this

#16 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11525 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:24 AM

that's great that your prior auth went through and your copay isn't too expensive!  good luck with motegrity.  hope it works for you.

#17 aries_wmn

aries_wmn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:26 PM

I've now been taking it for five days--so far I'm really encouraged. It's helped with constipation, gas and bloating.  I have pretty intractable, awful C.  I am still taking mag oxide daily, as I did prior to Motegrity, at least for right now, because I was so backed up when starting.  Really hoping it continues to help.

#18 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11525 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:18 AM

thanks for the update.   so  glad it's helping you!   hooray!!   hope this continues!  

#19 aries_wmn

aries_wmn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

I wanted to post another update just in case this helps someone, since my dr didn't mention this.

I've noticed that I get better results with Motegrity when I take it after a 4 hour fast, before bed, as recommended by Dr. Pimental an IBS researcher at Cedars-Sinai. It's important to note that this includes not taking it at the same time as other laxatives or other medications..  It's weird that taking it at the same time as magnesium reduces it's effectiveness, but for me it definitely does. Pimental also said on Twitter that the fast is important, but if you can't manage a 4 hours fast 2-3 hours can be helpful.  I still take some form of magnesium, but I take it earlier in the day.

It is a bit annoying to follow these rules, since I"ve always found it most convenient to take laxatives before bed, but it's been worth it. 

I do get milder improvement from Motegrity when not following these rules, so I imagine if you have less severe symptoms this may not be as important.

• annie7 and dac122 like this

#20 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11525 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:02 AM

thanks for the update and the information on motegrity---appreciate it!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here