Motegrity (Prucalopride) is finally available! - Page 3 - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Motegrity (Prucalopride) is finally available!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 dac122

dac122

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:39 AM

Is motegrity working for everybody?

I cannot speak for everybody but there does seem to be a set of folks, like myself, who experience it working at first very well, but those good effects wear off withing a few weeks.  After almost 2 months it is working but much less effective.  

#42 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:56 PM

I cannot speak for everybody but there does seem to be a set of folks, like myself, who experience it working at first very well, but those good effects wear off withing a few weeks.  After almost 2 months it is working but much less effective.  

did you try taking a drug holiday from it like i mentioned earlier in this thread.  just take a few days off from it--maybe even a week--and then start taking it again.  that might jump start it into working well for you again.    that worked for me with zelnorm, which is a similar drug.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#43 comptalk

comptalk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:58 AM

Amazingly enough, the drug stopped working the next day.  Actually, I then took it for two days straight. No headache, some stomach ache, but now now bowel movement.  I had to go back to my  original cocktail of M.O.M and Dr. Shultz.  I might had been able to get away with just Dr. Schultz, but since it was three days w/o a complete bowel movement (I usually go once to twice a day), I took the M.O.M. last night and reached some relief this  morning.

Very concerned about my bowels needing said meds for a bowel movement. Surprised the motegrity went from working pretty fast in one day to having no effect two days later.  

#44 GJMody

GJMody

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4105 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:20 AM

Is prucalopride working for everybody?

#45 sjb924

sjb924

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:46 PM

My GI gave me samples... it is a miracle (OK I know it's science, but it feels like a miracle).   I could go a week or two without a bowel movement.  Regular laxatives don't work for me.  Motegrity has given me a normal bowel movement everyday for 4 weeks!   Still waiting for the special auth to go through...    I have to mention that the side effects were horrible, but started to diminish after a couple weeks.    

#46 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

so glad to hear that motegrity is helping you!   and that's good that the side effects started to diminish after a couple weeks. 

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#47 joeyr2

joeyr2

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

My GI gave me samples... it is a miracle (OK I know it's science, but it feels like a miracle).   I could go a week or two without a bowel movement.  Regular laxatives don't work for me.  Motegrity has given me a normal bowel movement everyday for 4 weeks!   Still waiting for the special auth to go through...    I have to mention that the side effects were horrible, but started to diminish after a couple weeks.    

What were the side effects?

#48 sjb924

sjb924

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:15 PM

What were the side effects?

I took it before bed, and within a couple hours I had nausea, sweats, muscle/ leg cramps, insomnia, headache... zero sleep that night.  I decided I would take the next dose the following morning, and had a late breakfast/lunch as usual that day- this was better.  I had these side effects for a few weeks.  The only thing that is still off is my mood, at 4.5 weeks.  

#49 mpfiorv

mpfiorv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:49 AM

I called my doc for an RX on Motegrity today, he refused to give me a new unknown drug w/o trying Trulance and having a colonoscopy 1st. You'd think I'd be asking for a script of Morphine from him. I cannot believe I have to doctor shop for a script just to go the bathroom. Unreal. I am going to see if my GP will give it to me. Not sure. My gastro doc didn't even know about Motegrity. 

that's ridiculous.  

comptalk, or anyone else for this matter, have you been able to try motegrity?

I just sent a message to my doctor about trying motegrity.

There are a few others id like to try assuming motegrity doesnt help.

#50 mpfiorv

mpfiorv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:57 AM

im pretty sure i have a nerve/muscle disorder from something i did to myself a few years back.  I see my GI in February and would like to have a few more tests (depending on price) to see what concludes.  I had a colonoscopy last year which showing nothing other than GERD.  I constantly deal with constipation/gerd/tension/aches/pains in the abdomen region and all over my upper body.

Anyone have luck with motility drugs? I think they are called prokinetic agents but I could be wrong

#51 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:04 AM

if you think you have slow colonic transit, ask your gastro doc for the sitz marker test (colonic transit study).  i think it's a fairly inexpensive test to do. 

yes, you're right--motility drugs are  prokinetic agents.  motegrity is a prokinetic and so is zelnorm.

good luck. i hope your gastro doc gives you a script for motegrity--or even samples to try.

#52 mpfiorv

mpfiorv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:09 AM

hi, glad its helping you, what sort of side effects did you have to deal with?

#53 sjb924

sjb924

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:55 AM

hi, glad its helping you, what sort of side effects did you have to deal with?

I took it before bed, and within a couple hours I had nausea, sweats, muscle/ leg cramps, insomnia, headache... zero sleep that night.  I decided I would take the next dose the following morning, and had a late breakfast/lunch as usual that day- this was better.  I had these side effects for a few weeks.  The only thing that is still off is my mood, at 4.5 weeks.  I would be very careful if you even think you may be suffering from depression... I would consider myself to be a very high functioning depressed person, but I think Motegrity has negatively impacted me in this regard.

#54 comptalk

comptalk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:15 PM

that's ridiculous.  

comptalk, or anyone else for this matter, have you been able to try motegrity?

I just sent a message to my doctor about trying motegrity.

There are a few others id like to try assuming motegrity doesnt help.

Worked for a day and then stopped.  The headache was the only side effect I experienced. Since I suffer from chronic migraines, I could last on the motegrity more than a few days.

#55 mpfiorv

mpfiorv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:27 PM

Motegrity works combined with other bowel laxatives

#56 huntkayla123456789

huntkayla123456789

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 12:14 PM

I wanted to post on here to anyone getting headaches from the motegrity in hopes it can help someone. This medication has helped me so much. So here it goes: I almost gave up using this medicine bc of the severe migrane it caused me until I read on a forum that Motegrity is a vasodialator. So you need to be drinking coffee or taking caffeine since it is a vasoconstricter 2xs a day inorder to prevent the migrane. All I do is drink 1/2 cup of coffee around 7am and again around 330pm. Since I have been doing this I have not once had any headaches. I also take this medicine before bed 4 hours after my last meal. Please try this before you give up on it. It has been huge in preventing my Sibo from returning. I also have a tortuous redundant colon and this medicine helps keep my food moving through all the kinks and loops. Sending prayers to everyone battling.
  • annie7 likes this

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here