Advice? (WARNING: long post) - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Advice? (WARNING: long post)

gas bubbling incomplete remedies overactive gut

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:21 PM

Advertisement

Hello everyone. This will probably be a longish post, so only read if you are bored. Also FYI: I do have a GI doctor and am currently taking Paxil for my IBS, so I'm not solely relying on internet strangers for help! I just want general advice and I am curious to hear what has worked for other people.

I don't understand my IBS. I don't have IBS-D or IBS-C, in fact, I rarely get diarrhea and it is also a rare thing for me to be constipated. But boy is IBS a pain for me!

When I was younger the main symptom I got was stomach pains, you know, the cramping of the intestines and the sudden urge to have a bowel movement. I still get that pain now, but its definitely less annoying, less frequent, and mostly preventable. But it seems that, since that symptom lessened, another had to take over!

This is what I can't stand, and UGH, I hate talking about it: gas. Gas and bubbling sensations in my intestines. And in particular, I seem to get gas AFTER a normal bowel movement. I just have so much gas almost all of the time! Constant bubbling. Another symptom I have is I am often unable to completely empty my bowels. Either that, or I will seem to have a normal bowel movement, but like 20 minutes later I will have to have another. So rude. My digestive system just can't be chill.

Now here is what I don't understand: my IBS is NOT consistent. For example, I get that eating junk food will make my IBS worse. That's fine and that's fair. But 1) eating healthy barely fixes the issue 2) sometimes I can get away with eating high FODMAP foods (aka my symptoms don't show up). I've never understood bodily functions that aren't consistent. Like if you have a peanut allergy, you ALWAYS react. Why do I *sometimes* react to foods? If my stomach has an intolerance, wouldn't it ALWAYS have an intolerance?? Why is it sometimes like, "LOL, free pass for u."

I'm a big cost/benefits type person; that's how I make my decisions. That's why I don't eat like a health freak. Because in my opinion, the amount of effort it takes to, say, be on a low FODMAP diet is not worth it, particularly considering that the symptoms are not eliminated when I do so. It seems that eating healthy only provides *some* relief, but apparently not enough to make me continue doing it.

SO, here are my questions for you guys: 1) Any remedies for gas? I've tried beano, doesn't work. I've tried simethicone (like off brand Gas-x type stuff), doesn't seem to work. Do you find that maybe certain supplements work? Certain exercises? Certain herbs, teas, etc? Any advice that has worked for you would be greatly appreciated. I understand that everyone is different and what you suggest may not work for me.

2) I know you're not doctors, but why would I get gas after a bowel movement? Like that is one thing that is crazy consistent with my IBS. And it's like consistent gas, lasts for like 2-3 freakin' hours. Like there's some sort of air machine in my intestines that keeps acting up and filling my intestines with pockets of air or something. How can I calm this overactive gut down?! Why does it ALWAYS have to be doing something?

3) Any tips for incomplete bowel movements? Or just weird bowel movement patterns in general? Drives me crazy when I have a normal one in the morning, then gas forms after, then I have a weird bowel movement later in the day because of the buildup of gas. And weird bowel movement as in it seems like something upset my stomach. I will spare you the details, lol. Oatmeal/fiber doesn't provide consistency for me.

Again, just any advice in general would be nice. I want to hear the different things that worked for you guys. Maybe some of you will be like, "hey, doing a quick jog in the morning has done miracles for me!" or "Heather's tummy tamers have been a life saver!" If something has been of significant help to you, I want to hear about it.

One last thing I want to say is this: what makes me so miserable about my IBS is I remember the days when I didn't have it. It started when I was 11 years old (I'm in my twenties now). But man, when I was a kid, my digestive system was never on my mind. I lived so freely and happily. My digestive system was so detached from my mental state; they weren't connected at all. I don't even remember the slightest feeling of a bubbling gut when I was a kid. That's why I keep thinking there is an ideal, because I EXPERIENCED IT. And that's what haunts me, knowing that maybe it is possible to feel amazing, but that I will likely never feel that again.

Side note: I've taken IBgard. It's nice, but expensive and demanding to take consistently. Plus, it seems to help with the intestinal pain, rather then my gas issues. But the main thing is that it's just so darn expensive. I've also taken various probiotics, they don't do anything significant.

#2 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:03 PM

Unfortunately I have the same symptoms and have never found anything that helps with the gas.   I suffer with the big D a lot and have medications that helps with that but nothing really helps the gas.    Don't want to make you feel worse,  but I'm 68 and have suffered this gas problem since my 20s. 

#3 nsmythe88

nsmythe88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:17 PM

I know your GI doctor thinks that you have IBS. Have you ever been tested for food intolerances? Have you ever been scoped? Your story doesn't seem like it fits the definition of IBS because you don't have D or C or even mixed. Even SIBO doesn't fit without the D or C. It's good that you are still searching for an answer.

#4 mb83

mb83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:01 PM

Random question. Do you burp? I have IBS(mostly D) and I get insane gas almost daily. I have never been able to burp but never thought it was a big issue. But this week I found out that I might have DPR (dysfunction of the belch reflux). My esophageal sphincter literally won't open to allow burps to escape, so instead the gas just moves up and down making me feel like a balloon with a leak until I'm finally able to get it all out the other way.

#5 CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:27 PM

nsmythe88 I haven't been tested for food intolerances. I had a blood test for celiac disease, but apparently the test's conclusions were ineffective because I had a low count of antibodies (a certain type, can't remember which). I remember reading that this low antibody count was correlated with celiac disease. They told me the next step was a colonoscopy, but that is too expensive for me. I went gluten free for a month, didn't seem to make much of a difference.

#6 CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:29 PM

mb83 lol, yes I do burp, so the issue probably isn't that.

#7 nsmythe88

nsmythe88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

nsmythe88 I haven't been tested for food intolerances. I had a blood test for celiac disease, but apparently the test's conclusions were ineffective because I had a low count of antibodies (a certain type, can't remember which). I remember reading that this low antibody count was correlated with celiac disease. They told me the next step was a colonoscopy, but that is too expensive for me. I went gluten free for a month, didn't seem to make much of a difference.

It's good that you went gluten free for a month. That's probably really hard to do. Could you ask for other food testing instead of the colonoscopy?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gas, bubbling, incomplete, remedies, overactive gut

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here