so sick of people asking if I've tried a probiotic cuz it worked for them... - The Lighter Side - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

so sick of people asking if I've tried a probiotic cuz it worked for them...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sofrustratedwithibs

sofrustratedwithibs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:37 PM

Advertisement

And then when I say yes, it didn't work for me they go on about how it worked for them.  That's great...but it really didn't for me. And then they try to play doctor and come up with random solutions...Why is so hard for people to just accept that if doctors and researchers don't have the solution, then I am frustrated.  It doesn't mean they are going to magically think of something that no one else has...Like I've been dealing with this for yeaaaars getting probed and prescribed every test and medication out there but sure go ahead and try solve it in 2 minutes without ay medical training, research, or clue whatsoever about what you're talking about. I just need to be believed and for people to show a little empathy...but I don't know how to communicate that without coming off rude.

• annie7 and flossy like this

#2 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2100 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:54 AM

Yep!

I have IBS-C and whenever I tell people they usually tell me to try eating more fiber. Then I tell them for about 85% of us with IBS-C more fiber makes matters worse, not better. I usually end up telling them, "Unless you're an expert on gut flora and the intestines? You're probably not going to help me."

• annie7 and goodband34 like this

#3 Purple_tower

Purple_tower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:52 AM

Ouch. I've never experienced this about IBS before but for a different situation. Sorry you had to go through people telling you all sorts of things. It's one thing to share their experiences but unless they know your medical history and everything you've tried before, they really don't have to go out of their way and play doctor. In similar situations I just find myself telling them: "I appreciate your concern but that did not work for me. I'd rather you just empathize with me, thank you." Something along those lines.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here