11 replies to this topic

#1 IBSnewcomer2019

IBSnewcomer2019

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:22 AM

Advertisement

I'm brand new to this IBS....just got the list of do's and don'ts with fodmap foods.  How in the world do I make a good Italian sauce without onions and garlic?  is there something to substitute for it?  Also so many ethnic dishes and soups start with onion and garlic, how will I cook without it?

#2 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:11 PM

Hello IBSnewcomer2019 and welcome to the board.

I don't adhere to the fodmap food diet, but I noticed the same things you did.

I have IBS-C and use Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula # 1 daily. It also has garlic in it. I also eat a lot of pasta with spaghetti sauce and put a ton of garlic and onions in it, it helps with my BM's.

I guess it matters what kind of IBS you have.... What kind do you have (IBS-D, IBS-C or IBS-A)?

#3 spencermm

spencermm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:55 PM

I'm 4 weeks on it and having good results, 80-90% symptom free after 2 years of hell with ibs-d.

I cook A LOT, life long, so I feel your pain.  Nearly everything savory I cooked has garlic and/or onion.

It can be done and it IS WAY different, but I find it was a question of priorities and how severe the symptoms are.

I hate to admit it, but A) a good red sauce takes time that I don't frequently have, and B) Coupled with A, I find store bought to be a good option for my circumstances.

So, that said, Preggo has a sauce called Sensitive something with no onions or garlic.  It's not bad.  I've used it for spaghetti(GF pasta) and as pizza sauce.  It's pretty good.  I've seen it at Kroger and Amazon sells it.

Also, there are recipes for "garlic infused oil" that are fodmap safe.  I haven't used it yet, but many LFM recipes call for it.  Even if it's not as good as whole garlic, I have to think it is better than nothing.  There's infused onion too I think.

There is a company called Fody that sells many spices and sauces.  I've only tried the ketchup, which is good.  I use it as kechup, but also I make my salad dressing, steak sauce, and bbq sauce with it.

Hope this helped some.

#4 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:01 AM

I'm brand new to this IBS....just got the list of do's and don'ts with fodmap foods.  How in the world do I make a good Italian sauce without onions and garlic?  is there something to substitute for it?  Also so many ethnic dishes and soups start with onion and garlic, how will I cook without it?

Both give me major bloating and constipation. I unfortunately haven't found a way to replicate the taste, but I use many other spices to season my food that are FODMAP friendly. GI problems caused by FODMAPs require a lifestyle change.

#5 Julia372

Julia372

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:14 PM

I have to avoid both onion and garlic because of fructose sensitivity. It's like there's a law that it has to be in all ready-made and restaurant foods. It's one of the reasons I have to make all my food. Find some alternatives, chefs!!!

I've been doing this a long time and gotten used to not having the flavor. Raw onions were always too pungent for me anyway. The best thing I can eat for flavor is a type of sea salt called RealSalt. You can see the minerals in it and it's much more flavorful than plain salt.

I think you could get along with RealSalt and herbs like thyme and basil. Yum. I used to make pesto with just olive oil, basil, pine nuts, and RealSalt. 

Or you could experiment with the fancy foodie salts that come in different colors. Maybe one of them would have a strong enough flavor to substitute. Also orange and red bell peppers or green peppers might be good substitutes.

#6 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:22 PM

I have to avoid both onion and garlic because of fructose sensitivity. It's like there's a law that it has to be in all ready-made and restaurant foods. It's one of the reasons I have to make all my food. Find some alternatives, chefs!!!

I've been doing this a long time and gotten used to not having the flavor. Raw onions were always too pungent for me anyway. The best thing I can eat for flavor is a type of sea salt called RealSalt. You can see the minerals in it and it's much more flavorful than plain salt.

I think you could get along with RealSalt and herbs like thyme and basil. Yum. I used to make pesto with just olive oil, basil, pine nuts, and RealSalt. 

Or you could experiment with the fancy foodie salts that come in different colors. Maybe one of them would have a strong enough flavor to substitute. Also orange and red bell peppers or green peppers might be good substitutes.

I agree. I have been avoiding garlic and onion so long that I don't even miss it anymore. It's not worth what it does to my insides.

#7 Dennis23

Dennis23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 02:41 AM

May I ask why you not eat onion? I often add them in my food and the taste seems good. There are also benefits of eating it as it contains many anti-oxidants .

#8 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 05:40 PM

May I ask why you not eat onion? I often add them in my food and the taste seems good. There are also benefits of eating it as it contains many anti-oxidants .

Onions and garlic are high in fructans and considered high FODMAP foods. Nothing wrong with them if you don't have issues when you eat them, but for many people (especially those of us with SIBO) they can make our symptoms worse.

#9 Positiveside

Positiveside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:02 AM

What if you use garlic and onion powder, is it allowed or still the same effect?

#10 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 12:46 PM

What if you use garlic and onion powder, is it allowed or still the same effect?

Same effect

#11 Julia372

Julia372

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 01:31 PM

Same effect for me too.

#12 Displaced

Displaced

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:55 PM

I've just been advised to try a modified version of the FODMAP plan targeting only some of the main problem foods, including garlic and onions. My reaction is like yours: how can I cook without them? My dietitian recommended a brand of gluten-free, low FODMAP products, including pasta sauce, called FODY. I haven't tried it yet. A friend who follows a gluten-free diet recommend some brand that's readily available in grocery stores, but I don't remember which one. I did a quick online search for pasta sauce without onions and garlic and found that several of the big brand names have a product labeled "sensitive" that omits garlic and onions. You might see if they're in the store, or perhaps you could order them.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here