Shortness of breath - Gas / Flatulence / Bloating - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Shortness of breath

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bourne61

bourne61

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:03 AM

Advertisement
Does anyone get short of breath in a flare. I do even just talking. Feels like breath is stuck in solar plexus below sternum where our ribs meet the hollow area. Had ct, chest x rays, ecg, bloods oxygen sats normal. All fine. I feel bloated whatever I eat but hate this shortness breath. Scares me.

#2 oliver1990

oliver1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:16 AM

I get the same. I've only just been diagnosed with IBS recently and I can cope with the bloating (which I also get after eating even the smallest amount) but the shortness of breath is what really stresses me out.

#3 ashnichole01

ashnichole01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:04 PM

I haven't experienced this before. That does sound scary. Have you thought of trying a whole food plant based diet to manage your IBS symptoms? It has helped me tremendously. Try it for a month and see if it helps. Look up Dr. McDougall's website. There's recipes, articles, videos...lots of info to get you started. It's all free.

Wish you the best.

#4 NauseousNelly

NauseousNelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 02:45 AM

Yes, I get this, too. Sometimes it seems to be related to bloating and is relieved by belching. I recently had an episode that lasted for a few weeks - basically an elephant sitting on my chest, making breathing difficult. Then I started with a tickly, unproductive cough as well. Otherwise I felt normal, though (apart from the anxiety brought on by visiting Dr Google a bit too much).

Turns out it’s acid reflux. I’ve been taking cider vinegar once a day for the past few days and feel much better now.

#5 CutandPaste

CutandPaste

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:53 AM

So I am having this too. My main symptoms were gas problems and than I went to the doctor and had endoscopy and they told me I had hiatal hernia. I had no clue cause my colonoscopy was always looking good. I did stat to have acid reflux... That finally explains why I am having episodes of short breath...So maybe something to think about... 

#6 Ilyria

Ilyria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:11 AM

I also have this at the moment but I am unsure what is the real cause in my case. It could be reflux (my doctor confirmed) but it could also be from costochondritis I got a month ago when I overstretched doing yoga. My chest pain is almost gone but the shortnes of breath and feeling of pressure in the breast bone are still here so I guess it's mostly reflux now.
I have silent reflux with no heartburn but with excesive post-nasal drip my body produces in an attempt to protect my throat from acid. Makes me want to clear my throat often especially in the evening. It makes me really tired and is exhausting when I lay down in bed.I take probiotic for bloating so I have minor problems with this..

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here