Cured of constipation! - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Cured of constipation!

ibs-c constipation vegan

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:02 PM

Advertisement

I posted this over a year ago on this forum: http://www.ibsgroup....-a-problem-now/

The difference now is that I've gained weight (muscle), due to a healthy diet. And I take no medicine at all anymore.I have weaned down from 2 doses of miralax a day. I poop about every day with no complaints whatsoever.

Go read what I wrote, especially go to the nutritionfacts.org stuff. Don't do stupid things like fasting or limiting your fiber. Do the daily dozen that Dr. Greger on nutritionfacts.org recommends, which is what I do. I get 70 to 80 grams of fiber in my diet per day, some days; increase your fiber intake gradually... I think that an addition 5 or 6 grams a day, approximately, is just fine. The more fiber in my diet, the more I poop.

Anecdotal advice from others, such as what you see on this website, should be taken with a grain of salt. nutritionfacts.org gives you hard science that you can bank on. Avoid asking Google about every one of your fears.

Eat fruit especially, I'll never forget how eating more fruit (especially apples) virtually fixed my chronic constipation in a matter of days- https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-much-fruit-is-too-much/. 

I know you're afraid, that's okay, I was really afraid too. See what I wrote in my earlier post about God. You can trust that He is with you always, that He loves you.

Again and finally, limit asking advice from the Internet. Trying to figure out my own scientific solution led to doing the stupidest thing I ever did- I ate only jello for at least a month. So stupid. And I was obsessed with laxative medicine. It was all very bad.

I have now virtually no health concerns EXCEPT anxiety. But I see a mental health counselor and take an anti-anxiety pill now. In hindsight, I always thought I had this horrible health condition that was slowly turning my body and my guts to useless mush, but actually I was just an anxious paranoid person and that anxiety and paranoia made my do many dumb things in the name of health. So I also recommend asking your doctor if mental health counseling and/or mood medicine is right for you.

Thankfully, I went from unemployed, to working part time, to now working full time with no problems whatsoever with health. The only problem I have had with being a vegan is being low in iron, but actually I fixed that too by eating cooked lentils (LOTS of fiber there too).

If I did it, you can do it! I believe in you!

#2 kevina74

kevina74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for posting. How quickly did things turn around for you? I don't want to become vegan, but I'm not opposed to eating more vegetables. I've backed off from fiber because I wasn't seeing much results. Though admittedly I have no idea how much fiber I was actually getting. I've also read fiber was bad and some people have had successful with a low fiber diet. I don't think it's a one size fits all approach, what works for one may not work for another. I'm not opposed to giving it another try, however, though I'm worried it may make things worse. Do you eat grains as well?

I see your point about not getting too focused on it. I have to watch myself about getting too anxious about it because it doesn't solve anything and usually makes it worse. I kind of feel like I have to put my life on hold to deal with it first and I don't like it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs-c, constipation, vegan

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here