IBS and Kefir? - Your Story - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
- - - - -

IBS and Kefir?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tony 123

tony 123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:53 AM

Advertisement

Hi, new here

I got diagnosed with IBS D and C in 2009 at the age of 25 and it has got worse over the years, the only thing that seems to help is peppermint but that only calms the stomach cramps down. Recently I was talking to a 73 year old male that has had IBS for over 40 years and has tried everything but nothing had worked until he came across kefir milk. He said that it took nearly a year to work but now can eat and drink anything he wants with no symptoms at all.

So my question is this : Has anyone here used Kefir milk/ Kefir grains? and if so, what was the results?

#2 bebapichewa

bebapichewa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:52 PM

If used consistently, it works. I found when I stopped using it, my symptoms came back. I'm now trying to get my system back to where it was so I'm drinking it daily. I make my own. I bought "grains"online. It's pretty easy but it does require daily maintenance: The grains need to be strained and put in a new batch of milk every 24 hrs. The store bought kefir isn't nearly as good, but it could still work if you don't want to make it. It just gets expensive. It's cheaper to make your own. 

• tony 123 likes this

#3 tony 123

tony 123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:49 PM

Hi

Thanks for the comment, can I ask how much kefir you were drinking a day? I've been drinking it for about 3 weeks now, making my own with the grains. Not sure how much I should be drinking though!

Thanks

#4 bebapichewa

bebapichewa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:14 PM

Hi

Thanks for the comment, can I ask how much kefir you were drinking a day? I've been drinking it for about 3 weeks now, making my own with the grains. Not sure how much I should be drinking though!

Thanks

Hey! I usually have 8 oz a day. You could have more, but I just use it to put in smoothies. I make it with kefir, chia seeds, frozen blueberries, a little 100% pure maple syrup, sometimes frozen grapes or whatever fruit you like. That's the tastiest way I've found to drink it if you're into it. 

#5 alexho

alexho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:20 PM

Tony, it may be important to check whether or not you are lactose intolerant.

Are you familiar with the FODMAP IBS diet?

I use their phone app for managing my diet -- currently, I find, this is the most effective diet and treatment for my symptoms  -- I have had IBS-M for over 40 years.

Anyhow, just checked the FODMAP app info about Kefir: it says, if you malabsorb lactose, intake should be limited -- try lactose free alternatives.

#6 GJMody

GJMody

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1988 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:56 AM

Kefir can be mixed with coconut milk.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here