The Best Herbal/Supplements - Recommendations/Reviews - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

The Best Herbal/Supplements - Recommendations/Reviews

herbal supplements

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 supert3d1975

supert3d1975

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

Advertisement

After reading US National Library of Medicine article: "Herbal medicines for the management of irritable bowel syndrome: A comprehensive review

I was curious to explore some of the herbs/elixirs and wondered if anyone had heard of and, or tried some of them? 

• Iberogast (STW 5) - https://www.iberogas...u/en/iberogast/

Among compound preparations, most studies had been performed with STW 5, a formula containing hydroethanolic extract of 9 herbs. Hopeful results come from the efficacy of this herbal preparation in the management of IBS with different mechanisms of action such as anti-inflammatory, prosecretory activity, and affecting gastrointestinal motility. Because of multifactorial nature of the pathophysiology of IBS, it seems that compound preparations can be more efficacious than single ones
  • Padma Lax (Not in the US) - https://padma.ch/en/...ucts/padma-lax/
  •  

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13125 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:39 AM

i tried iberogast  but unfortunately it did nothing for me.  but that's me. other people might have success with it.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 AronGlower

AronGlower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:09 AM

Yes, my friend tried, but for him such herbs didn't suit him.

#4 KarennJames

KarennJames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:13 AM

I think maybe you should drink milk thistle. IDK, if it is possible to drink it when irritated, I am not an expert, but my grandmother brewed it for me when I had problems with it. For u definitely worth drinking chamomile, it gives a calming effect, so I think it'll definitely help u. I didn't have any irritation, but it doesn't give you any pain? When I had bowel problems, I developed pelvic neuropathy. I still have to drink herbs or rather herbal-based painkillers. If u have pain, then I think it will help u; maybe even some enzymes will help you get rid of the irritation completely. I usually have to order in bulk at https://rocketmannat...nful-neuropathy because my treatment will last for a long time. I also drink rosehip for the kidneys and various diuretic herbs.

#5 aries_wmn

aries_wmn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:58 AM

These are the ones I've had the most success with:

Cape Aloe is a stimulant laxative (which some sources say canbe  toxic, but I've never had a problem). It's the most effective stimulant laxative I've ever taken.

MotilPro contains 5HTP, ginger, and B6. It's sort of like a herbal version of Zelnorm or Motegrity because it produces serotonin which promotes motility in the gut.

Lemon juice, 1/4 a cup added to water. Prob the cheapest option, so definitely worth a try. Use a straw if you drink it frequently, since it's bad for teeth enamel.

CBD: Helped a lot with pain, but made constipation worse.

#6 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2153 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 12:32 PM

I've been taking Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula # 1 daily for over 5 years now. It's pricey, but it definitely works.

https://www.herbdoc.com/

Note: I also take 3 tablespoons full of apple cider vinegar (diluted with water) every morning whenever I wake up. It's nasty tasting, but it helps.

• annie7 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: herbal, supplements

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here