IBS and sleep - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS and sleep

IBS sleep

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: IBS and sleep

Does your IBS affect your sleep at night?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 sam123

sam123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:59 AM

Advertisement

Hello all,

Is anyone's IBS affecting their sleep?

I definitely have stomach indigestion below the belly button in the middle of the night (and during the day). 

I do go to the bathroom alot and for long periods of time during the day. 

I am not anxious, depressed, upset, etc (except for the difficulty staying asleep). I fall asleep rather quickly, within 5 minutes or so. But about 4-5 hours later it is hard to stay asleep.

There have been times when my bowels felt like they were on fire, just wanted to rip them out or something to get rid of the pain. I did all the basic tests (colonoscopy, endoscopy, MRI, bloodwork). 

Thanks for the feedback.

#2 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:03 AM

I don't usually have problems with diarrhea at night,  but I do have gas really bad.   Sometime the bloating is so bad that it does interfere with sleep.

#3 aries_wmn

aries_wmn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:20 PM

Rectal pain and pressure really interferes with my sleep, it's a nightmare. Ha.

#4 Robert_Larsson

Robert_Larsson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:13 PM

I'll try to give you an informed answer here but it's tricky as context matters. Generally IBS should not interfere with sleep excessively. Sure you might wake up 30min early due to cramps in the morning or you might have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night after eating a big chilli (or something you don't tolerate well) just before you go to sleep.

Hardly surprising to most patients, but if you have these problems on a regular basis without any specific trigger this might be a red flag. Nighttime symptoms and awakening from your sleep is something Physicians often ask as a standard question to rule out other potential causes and it is cited in several scientific publications as a warning sign or something to pay attention to. (See references below)

"In taking a detailed history, patients should be asked specifically if they are awakened from sleep by the symptoms or if they are already awake when symptoms occur" page 4

http://www.gastroent...h0109_Sup11.pdf

Frequency of reporting red flag symptoms

https://onlinelibrar...36.2006.02956.x

Symptoms NOT Characteristic of IBS

https://www.aboutibs...overview-2.html

As you see it depends a lot on why you are awakened at night. Additionally I know that getting a correct IBD diagnosis takes an average of 5 years after seeking medical care for these symptoms the first time. This was a study made in Sweden, so it's not representative for every healthcare system ofc. Now I'm not saying you might have IBD, you have had your testing done and you'll know the circumstances, but I'm trying to convey that it might be tricky to find a correct diagnosis because of the asymmetry presented due to IBS being a diagnosis of exclusion. Something to keep in mind when considering your nighttime symptoms. Hope this was helpful and hey I can tell you there are several drugs in development treating IBS pain  You can checkout the Pipeline I wrote here: https://www.ibsgroup...in-development/

Take care! - Robert

#5 mellosphere

mellosphere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:18 PM

Hi- I have exactly what you are talking about, it has been this way for years. Early morning pain and cramps. I have been told by many doctors that that means it may be something other than IBS because IBS apparently should not cause sleep disturbances. However, I have always and only ever been diagnosed with IBS.

#6 oliver1990

oliver1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:04 AM

I don't have trouble going to sleep, but I do find that when I have a flare-up I tend to wake up during the night for number one or wake up earlier than I would usually (again, for number one).

#7 beatingIBS

beatingIBS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:00 PM

When I was super sick I woke up at night many times to do diarrhea and also because I was in pain. So even though it may be a red flag, if all the testing/excluding all diseases(IBD for example) is negative then it can also be a symptom of IBS.

#8 mrcasual

mrcasual

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 December 2019 - 09:32 PM

My only symptoms related to sleep are when evening time approaches, around 8-9PM my guts start burning. During my sleep I have no issues, after I am waking up I have horrible back pain though. I need to have a hot shower to relax my back muscles otherwise I can barely move.

#9 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:58 PM

I get the back pain too upon rising.   I'm sure mine is related to my IBS-D though.   My doctor said my intestinal distress can also make my back sore. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS, sleep

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here